Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hello. I don't own a Prius yet, but it's coming on it's way. :eek: :D

I have a question with SKS and it's operations. I thought of a scenario but not sure how SKS would work. Say, if you use the sensor on the driver's door to open up the driver side of the door and sit into the car.

Once you got in the car, you use the lock button on the inside of the driver's door to lock up. Now, since the car is operating in SKS mode, although the doors are locked by the button on the driver door side. Would the passenger still be able to use the senor on the front passenger door handle to open up he's door and meanwhile unlocking all passenger doors? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

and BTW, how good is the insulation done on the Prius, considering it's got a 500v battery under passengers seats? :?: :?: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Nope. Even if the driver's on the driver's side, the passenger will not be able to open the passenger side in SKS mode. This prevents car-jackers from sneaking up on the other side and opening the door. You would either have to manually unlock (or push unlock on the pwr door lock switch) or reprogram the SKS so that it unlocks all doors when the driver's door handle is touched. OR you could just simply touch the hatch (if you're approaching the car from the rear).

The battery is just under the floor between the rear seat and the rear under-floor compartment. It won't leak under normal circumstances and there is a vent on the right side near the rear door to cool it

·
Registered
36 Posts
The answer would be yes if the passenger ALSO has a SKS fob with them. :)

Drives the wife crazy. When she has her purse, she gets in fine. Without it, she pulls and nothing happens, she gets mad at me for not having the door open... But Dearest, if you only had your keys with.... LOL :D

And the battery modules under the rear seat is only 201.6 volts. Volts aren't the problem anways, it's the AMPS. :D

NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) type
28 Modules total
6 Cells within each Module
168 Cells total
1.2 Volts in each Cell
6.6 Ah total
201.6 Volts total

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
There are 4 smartkey sensor areas: outside the driver's door, outside the passenger's door, outside the rear hatch, and inside the front of the cabin.

The Prius knows if the key is on the inside or the outside (so if a fob is outside of the car, someone inside cannot start the car, and if the fob is left inside the car the car won't lock from the outside). So, if the only keyfob was with the driver, they open the door, get inside with their fob, lock the door, no one else can open the doors from the outside (not sure if the doors would open if the person on the outside has a valid keyfob, though...) Note also that the driver cannot approach the driver's door with the fob, and a fobless passenger approaches the passenger door first, that the passenger's door will not open (no fob in that antenna region), so the passenger has to wait for the driver with the fob...

If you're really paranoid, I'd suggest changing the SE&SS/SKS away from the default (driver's door opens only driver's door, hatch or passenger door opens all doors) to the 3rd option of keyfob only opens the approached door.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:D :D Thank you all for your wonderful replies.

hehe, I'm not paranoid with the SKS thingy. Just want to clear up the confusion over the SKS operation since doors can be opened with sensors on the handle while the fob is present nearby. Now I understand..... :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
928 Posts
The hybrid battery is behind the rear seat, not under it. The insulation is very good. Not only that, both sides of the battery float (neither has any path to ground) and ground fault interruption circuitry will open a relay if either side has any leakage to ground.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
One note about SKS I have discovered. We all tend to think that the fob transmission is picked up by sensors at the driver/passenger/hatch/room locations. Actually, this is not the case. Those 'sensors' aren't sensors, but transmitters, sending the fob a transmission request. The fob then spontaneously (in the sense that you didn't push any buttons on the fob) transmits the same way as if you used its wireless door lock feature. The fob's SKS output is picked up by the one and only wireless door lock receiver. The car knows where the fob is, because it only operates one oscillator at a time, and the oscillators' operation range is so short, that if a particular osillator is triggered, and there is no response, the fob is not near that oscillator, but if the fob does respond, then the fob is near the oscillator that triggered it.

I want to do an experiment and take the room oscillator out, and watch it operate the car through the fob 20 feet away. Then again, the car may ignore the fob's transmission, since the car did not initiate the transmission, and thus not providing the window of acceptance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts