Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing a new Prius and will be using it in Colorado ski country. Does anyone have any experience with magnetic ski racks for the roof and using tire chains in snow?

·
Registered
9 Posts
no experience with the magnetic rack, but my Thule holds a Tandem bike and 2 recumbents just fine. Take the speed over 55mph however, and the mileage drops to 43 or so.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't tried any ski racks on my Prius, but with the split rear seat, I was able to fit 3 sets of skis, boots and skiers (myself included) into my Prius.

I did have the opportunity to use my cable chains twice last winter. The tight clearance between the tire and the wheel well did make installation a bit more difficult. This was made a bit easier by carrying two vise grip pliers, a pair of garden gloves and a small tarp to kneel on.

The biggest issue I encountered reaching the ski area parking lot was the low ground clearance of the Prius, though by using the tire chains, I was able to ride up on top of the snow instead of bottoming out while driving in the tire ruts. The traction control and VSC did help a lot with control once I had chained up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts