Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share a couple of photos taken as I installed a Solara Sirius radio. All went well, but if the following photo makes you ill just thinking about this kind of re-assembly job, then this task is not for you!:

All this just to plug in one connector on the back of the stock radio!

One thing I noticed was that there is a plastic disc/cup that is supposed to be bonded to the center dash speaker magnet. It had come unstuck from the speaker (it's held by sticky foam rubber), and may be a cause of some dash rattle, though I didn't have one in this particular location:

I used a Terk mini antenna, and plan to mount it inside the spoiler one of these days. For now, I just fed it to the back cargo area, and stick it to the closed cover near the rear by its built-in magnet.

I placed the receiver under the rear passenger seat, held with bubble wrap and styrofoam. It seems padded and secure.

It took about three extra-careful hours, since this was the first time I had taken the dash apart. No rattles, everything works, using the multi-display steering wheel and dash buttons. My only complaint is the 10-character artist/title limit.

Once I hide the antenna, you won't be able to tell I have it, making it unlikely as a vandalism or theft target.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
This degree of disassembly is not required at all. Simply removing the vent cover to the right of the MFD and removing one bolt on the ECU closest to the MFD will allow enough room to reach behind the head unit and plug in the cable which you'll fish up from under the dash.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would sure be easier! I used the method posted a while ago on Priuschat for the XM radio (a thorough pdf from Eddie Bell at Metropn, with factory manual excerpts showing the dash components.) Routing the wires back to the rear of the car would still require passenger side disassembly, but I agree it seemed like I didn't need to take apart the driver's side. The only benefit I could see was that it made it easire to safely remove the left side vent; it was tough to get a grip on them without removing the lower and upper dash panels.

All considered, it was harmless, since they really go together almost like Lego blocks. My only panic was when one of the plastic clips at the top of the MFD fell down into the guts of the dash. Avoiding MFD removal would of course avoid the risk.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
efusco said:
This degree of disassembly is not required at all. Simply removing the vent cover to the right of the MFD and removing one bolt on the ECU closest to the MFD will allow enough room to reach behind the head unit and plug in the cable which you'll fish up from under the dash.
I installed one of these using the disassembly approach I ran the logic cable along some existing cable bundles over the steering column and tied the wire to those bundles. That was supposedly to keep it from interfering with anything in the steering mechanism. Is that possible without removing the dash? Is it necessary?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
redwein said:
I installed one of these using the disassembly approach I ran the logic cable along some existing cable bundles over the steering column and tied the wire to those bundles. That was supposedly to keep it from interfering with anything in the steering mechanism. Is that possible without removing the dash? Is it necessary?
I don't know if exactly what you're describing is possible or not. I wasn't concerned about interference with the steering assembly since I ran the cable to the reciever/control unit along the passenger side of the car, behind the glove box and along the cable routes on the door kick panels and such.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts