Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in California and I've heard that the Prius is allowed to use the diamond lanes, or car pool lanes, even if there is only one person in the vehicle. True? The price of getting a ticket has kept me out of those lanes so far....

Thanks

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Nope, not until the Feds approve what the state tried to implement. Stay tuned, it's coming...

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
solo in HOV lanes is only allowed for VA residents in VA HOV lanes with hybrids bearing the Clean Special Fuel license plates. (but that's expiring in 2006.)

Several other states (like CA and FL) have passed legislation to allow certain hybrids into the HOV lanes single occupant if they have the appropriate sticker, once the Feds make the change to allow non-ILEV vehicles go solo. (Prius is not ILEV since it has a gasoline engine.) Most HOV lanes were put up with Federal highway funds, so the states have to follow the Federal rules regarding what can go into the HOV lanes...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Cali has limited the number of stickers it will issue, so overcrowding isn't likely. In any rate, the law sunsets in two years so whatever problems it could create will disappear in two years.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Not sure what you mean by the question. It isn't "proposed," it has already passed the legislature and Governor. The numerical limit is higher than the number of Prius sold in the state so far.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Perks for Prius

Similarly, Los Angeles tried a program, meant to encourage hybrid buying, in which hybrids could park for free at L.A. City meters. That program expired in March 2005, though, and is "under review" by the Department of Transportation.

I don't know of any current perks.

Jan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: Perks for Prius

JKnight said:
Similarly, Los Angeles tried a program, meant to encourage hybrid buying, in which hybrids could park for free at L.A. City meters. That program expired in March 2005, though, and is "under review" by the Department of Transportation.
Hi Jan,

By the way, that program has already been extended a couple of times since March. Unless it is extended again, it will expire on June 30, 2006.

From the LA Department of Transportation: http://www.lacity.org/ladot/FreePark.htm

Louie

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
KTPhil said:
Yeah, and we are all pot-smoking waiters/actors who hug trees and attend EST seminars!
I KNEW it! But never have I met anyone willing to acknowledge it. HAH!! The truth is out!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Prius parking perk

So, following the links (thanks!) I am informed that a Prius does qualify for the park-free program, but that you need a Clean Air Vehicle Decal, which I can not apply for yet because of the HOV confusion. So, my car qualifies for the program but does not qualify to APPLY for the program.

I'm going to try to get back to the other side of the looking glass now...you know, the side where things make sense....

Jan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Latest From Fran Pavley, Assemblymember, 41st District

THIS JUST IN! Looks like we're one step closer. (An email from Fran Pavley, Assemblymember of California, 41st District)

Dear Friend,

I am writing to update you on the implementation status of Assembly Bill 2628, which would allow single-occupant hybrid vehicles that achieve at least 45 mpg and a clean air standard to use carpool lanes.

AB 2628 became state law on January 1, 2005. However, because carpool lanes in California have been built with the use of federal funds, and federal law governing federally-financed carpool lanes prohibits single-occupant vehicles from using the lanes except in certain instances, federal law had to be changed to allow California to implement the provisions of AB 2628.

The Federal Transportation Bill, which passed on July 29th, 2005 and is awaiting the President Bush’s signature, allows Hybrids to access HOV lanes, but may not be consistent with the two requirements signed into law by Governor Schwarzenegger.

The Federal Law will allow states to set a standard for miles per gallon that Hybrids must obtain in order use carpool lanes. In California, under AB 2628, that standard is 45 miles per gallon.

The Federal Law, however, is silent on the emissions standards a Hybrid must meet. AB 2628 requires automobiles to meet a very high clean emissions standard in order to reduce air pollution. Right now the Toyota Prius, Honda Civic and Honda Insight meet both requirements.

State Air Resource Board (ARB) Officials are currently reviewing the federal bill to see if California can go ahead and implement the program. With approval from the ARB and federal agencies such as the Department of Transportation and the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can start granting permits to owners of the qualified Hybrid models.

A motorist will have to apply for the permit through the DMV and pay for the special decal, which will be placed on the car prior to being allowed to access any State HOV lane. In the meantime, single-occupant hybrid vehicles are still not allowed in HOV lanes.

I will continue to update you as more information becomes available. You may also check my website http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/member ... tm?hybrids for the latest updates.

Thank you for you interest in this legislation.

Fran Pavley

Assemblymember, 41st District

1 - 20 of 20 Posts