Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When someone posts some good information which will help you an others to have a better understanding of the car, just read it and never post anything which might add to the information which was posted.

Never acknowledge any person who took time to sit in front of their computer and compose an intelligent and thoughtful posting.

Never share any experience you have had concerning something about your Prius.

If you find an interesting product which might enhance the looks or drivability of your car dont bother to let anyone else in on the information.

Never post anything yourself. Dont do so because you know that what you have to say is neither interesting or important.

Following these simple rules you will contribute to the death of our Prius forum.

Any comments you might about the above rules or if you can think of other ways to destroy this forum please share them with us.

Arizona Charlie

·
Registered
397 Posts
You omitted:

* Ask questions that have been discussed at length many, many, many times before.

*Post churlish, condescending responses to anyone with whom you disagree.

*Attach the same complaint to as many threads as possible, even if the subjects have no connection.

*Make your posts unreadable by....... using endless...... ellipses........ AND SHOUTING ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!

Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
With all due respect, it never occurred to me that this thread was the least bit necessary. You see, I think we have a great forum here, with valuable contributions from all sorts of interested, enthusiastic, intelligent folks! To me, that's the epitomy of a great forum, regardless of whether or not everybody posts.

Therefore, I don't think it's necessary for me to contribute to your little list, Charlie. In fact, I might go so far as to say that it's kind of a downer, if you get my drift.

People should have the freedom to post or not at their own discretion! A great number prefer to anonymously lurk, or simply use this forum as a research tool. And yes, some folks really may feel that they don't have much to contribute. Whether or not they're correct is beside the point!

And, as for the elipses, Moo...please lighten up a bit. They're just part of a writing style, nothing more. The world has changed with the advent and growth of the internet and forums such as this, you know. And with it, a lot of grammar rules have stretched and even evolved.

ALL CAPS? ...so it bugs me from time to time. And so do missspeelllingss! But I try to read past all that and pick up on the MEANING of what the person was trying to communicate. You may do well to try the same.

Anyhow, this is just my opinion. I respect you Charlie, but this time I must respectfully disagree. Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
397 Posts
BIF said:
With all due respect, it never occurred to me that this thread was the least bit necessary. You see, I think we have a great forum here, with valuable contributions from all sorts of interested, enthusiastic, intelligent folks! To me, that's the epitomy of a great forum, regardless of whether or not everybody posts.
Agreed. This is one of the most helpful and least contentious Internet forums I frequent.

Therefore, I don't think it's necessary for me to contribute to your little list, Charlie. In fact, I might go so far as to say that it's kind of a downer, if you get my drift.
Perhaps it was unintentional, but you've provided an excellent example of the condescension to which I was alluding. The addition of "little" to your description of Charlie's list and the closing "if you get my drift" weren't really necessary and could be interpreted as hurtful. I doubt this was your intent, but I can think of no better way to suppress participation than to humiliate those who post.

People should have the freedom to post or not at their own discretion! A great number prefer to anonymously lurk, or simply use this forum as a research tool. And yes, some folks really may feel that they don't have much to contribute. Whether or not they're correct is beside the point!
Agreed.

And, as for the elipses, Moo...please lighten up a bit. They're just part of a writing style, nothing more. The world has changed with the advent and growth of the internet and forums such as this, you know. And with it, a lot of grammar rules have stretched and even evolved.
Having been on-line since '93 I am well aware of the evolution which you are describing. It is, IMO, one of the great ironies that in this age of nearly instant and far-reaching communication people are becoming less and less capable of communicating clearly.

ALL CAPS? ...so it bugs me from time to time. And so do missspeelllingss! But I try to read past all that and pick up on the MEANING of what the person was trying to communicate. You may do well to try the same.
Good advice. I think I do pretty well deciphering the meaning behind even the most convoluted posts. I apologize if the tongue which I had planted in my cheek while composing my original response was difficult to ascertain.

Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
moocatdog said:
...Perhaps it was unintentional, but you've provided an excellent example of the condescension to which I was alluding. The addition of "little" to your description of Charlie's list and the closing "if you get my drift" weren't really necessary and could be interpreted as hurtful. I doubt this was your intent, but I can think of no better way to suppress participation than to humiliate those who post....
My choice of words was meant for directness, not meanness. If you're taking those words of mine as condescention, then you are most certainly inferring something that I didn't intend to imply.

I say this with no condescention or meanness in my heart: I'm aware that words have meaning, and I'm already careful when I write! More importantly, I also give others the benefit of the doubt on this. After all, life is too short to walk around always suspecting people of some kind of underhanded meanings. Maybe that's why I feel so strongly about this while others have chosen to not add to this thread as yet.

But your accusation above makes me honestly hope I don't have to begin micromanaging each and every word I write and each and every eggshell I tread upon! As I said, life is too short, and there are more important things to do.

My apologies if we're having a misunderstanding here, but I feel very strongly about this, particularly when I'm accused of condescention (which I think of as a form of meanness).

·
Registered
82 Posts
GUYS! LIGHTEN UP! I AM ONE OF THOSE FOLKS WHO HAPPENS TO LIKE TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS! I AM A NICE PERSON TOO! I LOVE THIS SITE. I LOVE THE INFORMATION FROM EVERYONE. I LOVE WHAT EVERYONE HAS TO OFFER.

I have to admit, I am not too keen on some of the unkind things the guys have to say to one another. Life is too short. We all love our cars. We enjoy learning new things. We enjoy sharing ideas. It is a good forum with lots of diverse folks. Noone is better or smarter than anyone else in reality. Thanks to you all for offering helpful tips. I am most appreciative.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts