Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Prius just went over 5100 miles......
I had about 1.5 hours til I had to pick my kid up from football practice. I set out to change my oil and found that I was going to need a floor jack in order to get the oil pan under the car....I had to go buy the jack....

Long story short.......
running out of time.....I start the oil change....everything goes well until I realize I can't get the old filter off....sigh!

So.....I'm already committed as all the oil is drained....so I complete changing the oil but not the filter.....

Is this going to result in "dire" consequences?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Probably not, but I'd change it if this is your first oil change. There is usually a lot of wear at first, then it slacks off.

Toyota (and Kragen/PepBoys, et al) sell filter wrenches that fit your socket handle. I like those better than the strap wrenches in tight spaces.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You too?

I decided to change mine at 1000 miles just to flush it out in case anything leftover from machining was still in it.

Couldn't get the filter off with my spiffy new three-fingered universal fit wrench from Pep Boys. The three little fingers have some soft plastic over them and the stuff rotates on the filter and then falls off. Never moves the filter. Basically, a really worthless tool, and it won't tighten as it only tightens the fingers in the loosening direction.

Had to go buy a cap wrench for next one at 5,000. Least it got new oil.

Oh, didn't have the crush washer either. Old one is stuck to oil pan. Left it on and just snugged the plug down with the torque wrench to 17 ft. pounds (no book, just WAG from motorcycle fixin' days). No leaks.

Fwiw, oil really changed color in the first 1000 miles: clear to redish.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't worry about it, you can still do the filter swap *after the fact*- just go and get a filter wrench, and remove and replace the filter. You'll get a few dribbles to clean up and will have to top up the engine with oil, but that's all.. This procedure is the same one many owners using synth oil for extended drain intervals go through- they keep the oil but swap the filter.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.....thanks for the replies......!

Being pressed for time sux....sigh!

Hyperion...yes....I will go ahead and rotate the tires this weekend....and I will purchase the "F" type oil filter wrench and swap out the old filter!

I did use John's guide about oil changes....thanks John! :wink:

·
Registered
37 Posts
bshef said:
I start the oil change....everything goes well until I realize I can't get the old filter off....sigh!
I had the exact same prob. My solution? Poor the bad oil back in and take it to Jiffy-Lube and have them replace the old oil with my 3 qts of Mobil-One. Maybe when I hit 10,000 miles I'll try again. Depending on my state of mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts