Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May 21, 2004

Today my partner and I each took delivery of a silver Prius, Package 9 from Toyotatown in Stockton CA [800] 877-5150. The Prius manager at Toyotatown, Asif Mahmood said he has another car [canceled order] for immediate delivery. If you have a long wait for yours, call him. You might get lucky. Toyotatown does not add extra dealer markup on their cars.

I had my order in for only three weeks. Toyotatown had two orders canceled and Asif called me. We each bought a Prius.

I read a recent post on this forum and ordered a set of mud-guards for the car. The part number is C0060-47004that is C-Zero Zero Six Zero-Four Seven Zero Zero Four. I have had them for several weeks and had them installed on the car this afternoon. They look sharp.

Dont bother trying to order these mud guards from a US dealer since they are only available from a Canadian Dealer. Apparently they are required on Canadian cars. Google for Toyota Canada and call the parts department at any Toyota dealer you find.

Unfortunately Toyota does not make or supply side moldings for the car. Thus our Prius vehicles are a prime target for those uncaring individuals who believe that the best way to get rid of a shopping carts is to aim it at a nearby car and let go. To fix a door dent properly you are looking at several hundred dollars worth of body shop workand paint work.

The good news is that side moldings made for the 2004 Toyota Highlander nearly fit the Prius as if they were made for the car. Installed they leave about an inch to an inch and a quarter from the front and rear edge of each door. They come with a glue strip on the back of the molding and go on easily. Best way to install them is to apply masking tape directly below where the molding will fit on the door. Check to see that it looks right and then install the molding with its bottom edge directly above the tape.

Fortunately the molding comes pre-painted in Millennium Silver which is the color of my car.

The part numbers for the Silver moldings are

75731-48020-BO for the front door
75732-48020-BO for the front door
75741-48020-BO for the rear door
75732-48020-BO for the rear door

I didnt check for other colors but certainly they must be available. Worst case - you buy them in some color, take them to your local body shop and have them custom painted to your cars color. I paid $333.00 for the four moldings which is a 30% discount from retail. If you are buying a new Prius you might get your salesman to convince the parts dept. to sell the moldings to you at the discounted price.

Arizona Charlie

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mud Flaps made in Canada are now available in the USA. I purchased a set last week for $38.63 incl tax. Put them on myself - very easy to do. USA Part # 00016-47025 - Available through your local Toyota Dealer.

I also had side moldings installed by a local Auto Trim Design Dealer. Black which is great for my Salsa Red Prius since the molding goes well with all the other black trim on the car. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, but have to wait until our daughter comes over with her digital camera. Should be posted in Appearence modifications by the end of the week.
Actually not much to see - just a simple black strip about 1" thick. The stuff comes in a roll and the fellow who installed it just cut off what he needed - it has a very sticky backing which once on will stay on. The cost is I am sure due to the installers expertise coupled with cost of materials. You could probably do it yourself if your handy at that sort of thing and have the right tools to cut the material. Problem is I don't know where its available.

·
Registered
81 Posts
NY888: Sorry it took so long but finally did put the pics of my side molding in the album. Still very pleased with the results and no dings!! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Side Moldings

arizona charlie said:
May 21, 2004

The good news is that side moldings made for the 2004 Toyota Highlander nearly fit the Prius as if they were made for the car. Installed they leave about an inch to an inch and a quarter from the front and rear edge of each door. They come with a glue strip on the back of the molding and go on easily. Best way to install them is to apply masking tape directly below where the molding will fit on the door. Check to see that it looks right and then install the molding with its bottom edge directly above the tape.

Arizona Charlie
Hi Charlie

Did you get two sets of front moldings only? How far below the door handles did you place them? I'm trying to work through a body shop that I trust to get the moldings. I tried through my dealership when buying the car, but they wanted just too much money, even with the fleet manager's 'discount'. But the Toyota person he's dealing with is trying to tell him they are too long for the back door - which might be true if placed really low. But I want them a bit higher where they'll actually do some good!

Advice from anyone who has done this would be most appreciated! (And a picture would be great!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Acura MDX Body Side Moldings

The MDX bsm are a near perfect fit for the prius..... where they do not meet the exact length of the doors they closely mirror the shape and length of the lower door indentations. They are also the largest, widest and deepest bsm that is practical for the prius. Excellent protection and good style. My wife hated the idea of putting bsm on the car and even she loves the look of these moldings.
Honda's RED ROCK PEARL is as close a perfect match to Salsa Red that you could imagine although black would look good as well.

Available vie EBAY under the subject title.

john

·
Registered
30 Posts
Side Moldings

Thanks OldFox & John. Took a look at the photos. The black does look good on the Salsa Red, but I'm not so sure they'll look as good on the blue Prius. The location was good, too. That's where I'd like to place them.

John - you placed them lower? In the indents? Isn't that too low to help with run-away shopping carts? I'll have to go out and stare at my car again. Gee - that's a hardship! :wink:

Barbara

·
Registered
81 Posts
Auto Trim Design also had the silver which would look great with your blue prius. Installed in about 15 minutes, fit is perfect.

I see a lot of posts referencing close fits and almost fits, etc why not buy a set that fit period

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Side Moldings

Barbara in LA said:
Thanks OldFox & John. Took a look at the photos. The black does look good on the Salsa Red, but I'm not so sure they'll look as good on the blue Prius. The location was good, too. That's where I'd like to place them.

John - you placed them lower? In the indents? Isn't that too low to help with run-away shopping carts? I'll have to go out and stare at my car again. Gee - that's a hardship! :wink:

Barbara
No, I put them right at the apex of the curve of the side... approximately 10 inches below the door handle. The back molding is short relative to the door indents but it looks seamless and frankly like it was made for the prius.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks again to both of you. I'll check both ideas out. I installed the cargo net today (VERY easy!) and the mud guards & side window visors are on order. The body side moldings are my last improvement to figure out.

Happy 4th! 8)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have lots of questions today. (1) Barbara in La spoke of side window visors. Why are they used and where do we purchase them?

(2) OldFox and BMcGraw talk about a "dashmat." I can figure out why we need that item (I think) : to reduce glare and heat) . But where do we purchase this item?

Thank you for all your good tips and comments. Karen Ann
P.S. rfrance said, "The good thing about the 2005 is that it will retain its value a little longer than the 2004." Why did this person say that? What am I missing? Could someone explain what he/she means? Many thanks.

·
Registered
928 Posts
karenann said:
P.S. rfrance said, "The good thing about the 2005 is that it will retain its value a little longer than the 2004." Why did this person say that? What am I missing? Could someone explain what he/she means? Many thanks.
Suppose you buy a 2004 Prius on August 31, 2004 and your neighbor buys a 2005 Prius when they first go on sale Sept. 1, 2004 (I'm guessing at the date just a bit). Suppose you both decide on January 1, 2006 that you want to trade in on a new Highlander Hybrid. If someone looks up your 2004 Prius in the "Blue Book" it will have a lower price than your neighbors 2005 Prius because yours seems to be 1 year older than your neighbor's, even though they really only differ in age by 1 day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Karenann: See post above re: Dashmat. I got my dashmat from Magnuessn's of Palo Alto, CA. Great company and the mat fits very well. Phone: (650) 494-2100

1 - 16 of 16 Posts