Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On one of my fobs I removed the key, magnetically attaching it under the car. I then removed and discarded the sliding back, over the battery cover, and carefully ground away as much plastic as seemed safe. The result was about half the cubic volume of the original fob, and it worked fine. I added a sleeve to the slot on the dash, in case it was ever needed.

HOWEVER, during a recent trip that fob was taken along with some other things, and I understand that being fobless can cost $$$ for a complete ECU. I therefore bought a fob from someone whose Prius was wrecked, so the spare problem is solved.

However, I now want to "operate" again, and this time will do a far more professional and careful job. I need another fob to destroy, making measurements along the way. The electronics may survive or not, but the end result will be a safe procedure for dramatically shrinking the fob. I may even find a way to make it two-dimensional, as on a slightly thickened credit card that would be safely kept in a wallet. I may add a high-intensity flashlight, a whistle-to-beep keyfinder, etc., all in mini.

When finished, all the procedures will be published here.

SO: if anyone knows of a dead fob or an extra one, please contact me.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's nice, Ray, but I'm still getting 45mpg on my best day. And you know how to conjure up a permanent tailwind. THAT, sir is AMAZING!

·
Registered
457 Posts
What is the purpose for doing this..? Maybe I mised something..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did it because the original fob seems much too large. Objective now is to reduce the fob function even further, perhaps to 1/3.

But that requires careful measurements to ensure that the $$$ parts aren't damaged and functionality isn't lost - hence my need for a non-working unit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
JDavies said:
What is the purpose for doing this..? Maybe I mised something..
I think the problem trying to be solved is too much stuff to be carried around in one's pockets. For me, that is pager and Prius-fob-other-keys in left pocket and Cell Phone in right pocket. Sorry if this is too much info 8) . But anyways, anything to the reduce the size of that baggage is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Heck, since I got the Prius, I *ONLY* carry the Prius key around. The rest of my keys stay at home unless I'm either driving one of the other cars, or I know no one else will be home when I get home (necessitating bringing a house key.) My 'other' set of keys contains two car keys, a house key, and a car remote. When I hook on the Prius fob, it just becomes too unwieldy.

I, too, would appreciate the smallest fob possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ON Fobs

If Keyless entry was triggered by a small metal keychain instead of the honking big fob I would have gladly paid whatever they wanted. As it is I didn't really see the benefit of keeping this big plastic thing in my pocket even longer.:)

Rob

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are major security and functionality issues that are adroitly handled, but the result is technological complexity and a big package.

I've already reduced the package ~50%, and am confident that a lot more is possible - but this time I'll do it in a much more disciplined way, and that requires a dead unit to destroy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This may be one of the few areas where us women have an advantage - just throw the fob in your purse and never have to look at it again. Personally, I would like to see a version milled down into an attractive medallion that could be worn on a necklace. Major fashion statement that would be! :D

BTW Eisenson: I'd suggest checking your tire pressure. I had my Prius for almost 2 months before I checked the pressure and was getting 45 mpg. After I checked (they were at just 30 psi :oops: ) and added some air (up to 36 psi) I've been getting closer to 52 mpg. I'm too chicken to go much more over the recommended pressure, even though I know others post here that they put in more than 40 psi.

Umm, maybe I need to change my signature line below now :wink:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spartan women?
Off to Thermopylae!

Tire pressure 40/38, mileage = 44 on last tank. Somehow I'm sure that if that fob were smaller my fuel efficiency would improve!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not the new case that's a problem - I can use quick prototyping for that, and have access to CNC, etc. It's the availability of a dead fob that can be dissected and measured.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Eisenson said:
Spartan women?
Off to Thermopylae!
Has someone been playing too much "Civilization"?

If there were a mini-fob available, I'd consider buying one. I don't leave mine in my purse because there are numerous circumstances in which I leave the purse locked in the car... and the wad of keys with the fob, office keys and house keys in my pocket is worse than cellulite...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I once micro-sized a project and dropped the thing and never found it. I put my most important keys on a large ring with some big object attached. It could be made to float in water if necessary.

My fob is attached to my cellphone. I can dial up my fob and find it in the dark. I never leave my cellphone at home anymore either.

I need help reducing my car payment down.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My current cellphone is the Treo 650, which has a plastic back. I've seriously thought about hiding a flat/shrunk Prius fob in the case back, thickened - room can be made, especially if I tap the Treo battery for power (trivial).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Eisenson, tell me about the 50-foot traffic levitator in your sig. Is that similar to the helicopter rotor on the roof I've invented so many times while stuck in traffic on the way to the Lincoln Tunnel? Until the transporter technology starts coming standard on the Pruis, I think that's the best we can do!

Susan
04 Silver BC
26500 miles
50.2mpg this tank
(42/40 PSI)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Levitator is still experimental, and we can't talk too much about it. Think Pogo Stick.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Has someone been playing too much "Civilization"?

If there were a mini-fob available, I'd consider buying one. I don't leave mine in my purse because there are numerous circumstances in which I leave the purse locked in the car... and the wad of keys with the fob, office keys and house keys in my pocket is worse than cellulite...
I consider remembering to take my purse out of the car EVERY time I leave as one of those nice lessons the Prius has been teaching me. That, along with leaving adequate room between my car and the one ahead so that I can take better advantage of pulse and glide. Ever notice that your car affects your driving personality? I'm much more Zen in the Prius than I was in the Explorer.

BTW, those mean folks over in Ann Arbor wouldn't ever equate anything Spartan with "Civilization" :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts