1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Fishantlers, how old are you anyway?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm very likely old enough to be your mother, fishantlers. Granny evander to you, and the only thing viewing crashes is good for is to warn the young of the tragedy of reckless behavior. A 17 year old boy (whose family we knew) crashed his cycle in front of our house 15 years ago. We called the paramedics. He's neurologically impaired, in a residential home, and will never lead a normal life.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This crash resembles sombody with a death wish. :!:

I remember when the original Smart was released for sale in Europe they crashed it (typical head on crash at around 40 mph) against the current Mercedes S-Class resulting in very good test results for the Smart.

Now the Smart4four reaches 4 stars in the European NCAP test series (out of 5 stares).

Walter

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
evander said:
I'm very likely old enough to be your mother, fishantlers. Granny evander to you, and the only thing viewing crashes is good for is to warn the young of the tragedy of reckless behavior. A 17 year old boy (whose family we knew) crashed his cycle in front of our house 15 years ago. We called the paramedics. He's neurologically impaired, in a residential home, and will never lead a normal life.

Are you on drugs?

Did you watch the link to the Smartcar crash test?

Do you even understand the implications of the engineering involved to make a car that small survive an impact like that?

If you are so old and wise, why are you so thick? :roll:

Try staying on topic for once and leave your bitterness out of the post.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
haha.. the Fifth Gear 70mph test... 70mph.. dude.. in any car, hitting a concrete barrier at 70mph will kill you. Sure, the Triton cell remains fairly intact but look at the driver's seat vs. steering wheel.

However, this does demostrate that small car != death if at reasonable speeds (e.g. truck hitting you head on at 30mph) and that bigger isn't always better.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
absolutely .. I agree 100%... all I can say is that I am positive most vehicles would not fair as well in a 70mph to zero crash. Very impressive footage.

It does reflect the similar scenario of a head on with 2 vehicles both travelling at 35mph.

Truly impressive that the Smarcar did not blow itself apart on impact.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It's not really that surprising. All cars sold in the US and EU must meet certain safety standards. The SMART car actually has an ADVANTAGE in being so light. There isn't that much mass to crunch. (There also isn't that much mass to absorb the impact, meaning more of the force transfers to the occupants.) The SMART pretty much bounces off.

I still wouldn't want to be in it, though. Maybe not death, but certainly a lengthy hospital stay.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yeah but the point here is that, small != death. I mean, maybe in the above footage but basically they were doing the 70mph test just to show that small cars can withstand strong frontal impacts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts