Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2006 Prius 2 days ago and I love it but after reading many of the messages on this forum it sounds like there are many problems in my future. After the warranty runs out how much does the battery cost to replace if needed? About how long does it last? I have one more day if I intend to return it. I got a good deal and tires for life but if the car is full of problems I am not sure if I should keep it. I would appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
455 Posts
go to any car board and people list problems

the vast mojority of listers report no problems
Consumer Reports lists the Prius as one of the most reliable cars out there overall

if you are that worried about it, return it, someone else will gladly take it

have to say I am surprised at your questions, most Prius purchasers do a fair bit of research on the car before buying it

the battery is a non-issue, the chance that you will ever pay to replace it, is very remote, very very remote
but the warranty on it is dependant on what state you live in

Spike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not find this forum until after I bought it. Most of my research was consumer report type websites. The dealership where I bought it had 7 of them which surprised me but I decided to take a chance. I will probably keep it but I have just been worried after reading the problems here tonight. Thank you for your reply. I am in Maryland.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Spike's correct. You will probably never own the car long enough to see the main batteries go out of warranty. Most States are 10 yrs and 100,000 miles. California and five others I believe are 15 years and 150,000 miles.The small standard 12 volt is really no different than a standard cars. The problems you will find mentioned here are relatively few and mainly inconviences. If you believe you are unconfortable with the unknown technology see if you can get an extended warranty written into your sales contract for less than $1,000 and forget ever having to think about it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Not sure why you feel the car is going to be riddled with problems. Most owners have no real problems. There are lots of questions and this and PC are the best places to ask them. Enjoy your car and don't worry so much.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yachtlady.. The NiMh battery is VERY reliable and has a great warranty. You aren't seeing main battery failure stories here. Stop the needless worrying. If you don't like the Prius.. take it back but don't do it because of the battery.

·
Registered
344 Posts
toyota overall is very good to prius owners regarding warranty anyway the battery and hybrid drivetrain are covered 8 yrs/100k in non-Calif. emissions states. longer in the above mentioned states.

still worried? buy the extended warranty to cover the rest of the car for just as long.

prius batteries don't fail under nonabusive conditions. don't run yourself out of gas and run it in electric till it dies, don't try adding more battery packs or converting to plug-in, and you really don't have anything to worry about.

any car will have an issue or 2 over its lifespan. the prius tends to have fewer issues than other cars.

good luck.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"After the warranty runs out how much does the battery cost to replace?"
BTW.. They are around $3500 +/- I don't know of anyone who's had to buy one. A few slightly used batteries are popping up on Ebay for less than $1000. There are several experiences that have been posted on-line with over 200,000 miles without a battery failure.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
hyperion said:
You will probably never own the car long enough to see the main batteries go out of warranty. Most States are 10 yrs and 100,000 miles. California and five others I believe are 15 years and 150,000 miles.
Actually, the federal hybrid system warranty is for 8 years/100,000 miles. If you are in a CA emissions state, the hybrid battery is further covered by the CA emissions warranty out to 10 years/150,000 miles. (Info for US 2004-2006 Prius only.)

·
Registered
202 Posts
You don't have to worry about the NiMh main battery, but you do have to be extra cautious not to hurt the small 12v battery by leaving a door open and an interior light on for any length of time. I have caught it where my 3-year-old daughter has played with the switch and turned it to on and I didn't notice when we got out of the car. Luckily it wasn't more than an hour before we got back into the car and I turned out the light. But leaving it on overnight will cause problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replys. The only thing that has happened so far is the vanity light on the drivers side is out and the tire inflation light stays on. I checked the tires and the front had forty lbs so I lowered it to the recommended 35 and the light still stays on. I will have it checked when I go back to have the leather seat covers put in. I feel better, I think I'll keep it. My last car was a '95 Camry. I got 185,000 miles out of it so I am giving it to my son.

·
Registered
54 Posts
After filling the tires you may need to reset the tire warning light. Just look in the owner's manual - not a big deal.

The car is great, the quality is tops. As the others have said, don't worry so much. Just enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The vanity mirror may just be positioned incorrectly...

In the 2004, the visor must be vertical, and the mirror slide must be all the way open for the light to function.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yatchlady, I think you may have misinterpreted what you have read here.

A lot of what you see posted here is for the sake of discussion and even though I sometimes play Devil's advocate and question the complexity of the hybrid system, I liked the Prius enough to purchased a second one.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"In the 2004, the visor must be vertical, and the mirror slide must be all the way open for the light to function."
And the switch must be on.. Does that not seem like overkill..?
Some new grad engineer got the vanity mirror off/on assignment and wanted to be sure that his work was noticed..?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I have decided to keep the car. Today was the first day I drove it to and from work (80 miles total) and it really is fun to drive. I guess I have just been stressed out over the whole car buying experience. Thanks for all your replys.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You were just suffering from buyer's remorse. Relax. Toyota is the most reliable car company out there. And the Prius is in its 6th year of production in the U.S., the third year on the current model. (The Prius experts here will correct me if my numbers are wrong). So this is not a new model you're dealing with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you change your mind...

I assume that you took delievry of your Prius in 2006. With the tax credit of $3150 factored in, it's almost 100% that you could sell the car next year for at least what you paid for it (assuming you didn't pay over MSRP.) Even if you paid $1000 over MSRP, you could still probably come out ahead. I don't think there's another car on the market that can beat this deal.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"Well I have decided to keep the car. Today was the first day I drove it to and from work (80 miles total) and it really is fun to drive."
OK so tell us about your car.. What color..Interior.. What accessories ?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The vanity light for the mirror on the visors are picky.

1. turn down the visor into the vertical postion.
2. turn on the light switch on the visor.
3. open the door covering the mirror (this step is missing in the owner's manual!)

Many people have thought that the light wasn't working (even myself when my husband just got his 2004), until you figure out that opening/closing that little door on the mirror on the visor will turn on/off the light!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.