Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do programming for a national used auto parts company on the side and I have the opportunity to exchange my services for a used HV battery from a 2001 Prius to put into my 2001 Prius. And I was wondering if those of you in the know think it would be worth it to have 2 HV batteries installed in a parallel configuration. :?:

Here is a little background:
-my 2001 Prius has 66,000 miles on it
-the donor car had 50,000 miles on it when it was totaled
-the donor battery has been tested and has a 6 month warranty
-I have a machinist that has told me he can fabricate mounting brackets and an enclosure

Your opinions are appreciated

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
With the added weight and additional load on the ICE to charge the 2nd battery, I don't think you would gain anything. You could probably drive further if the ICE gave out, but I thnk that would be the only plus.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Very likely there is little or nothing to gain and potentially a lot of problems could result. The connection isn't as easy as connecting a couple of wires at all. The new battery could affect the way the HVbattery ECU sees the battery SOC and cause premature death of the battery/ies.

Also, unless you routinely live/drive in an area that is very hilly and you often see your battery SOC go down to the lowest levels and up to the highest levels you probably have little to gain from the extra Ah. Some decrease in internal resistance is said to contribute to increased efficiency of the HV battery with a modest improvement in mpg in return has been reported on the 2G Prius with added battery capacity. I'm not familiar with anyone reporting similar on the 1G Prius.

I guess this, to me, boils down to a pretty simple answer. "If you have to ask, don't do it." If you knew enough about how the system worked, how to do the hook up, how it would affect your system and your mileage then you wouldn't need to ask a bunch of strangers for the answer.

It's still worth getting the battery and selling it on Ebay or something in exchange for your services (depending upon how much your services usually bring), but other than that I think there's little benefit to be gained from having it. You'd have no way to keep it charged in storage and no way to recharge it if it drained completely if you ever wanted to use it as a back-up if your current battery dies....which isn't likely for another 100-150k miles!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your input.
I think I will actually look into getting some seats to replace my front seats instead of the battery. If I can find some toyota seats that i can get to fit. we'll see what works out.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I wouldn't try it under warranty, but I do believe one could benefit from it, especially if one could up the SOC charge a bit. True, the battery ECU would not be able to manage and check the 2nd battery, but as a whole, the system would read the SOC appropriately.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Wayne had posted information about how he had added extra lead-acid batteries to his 2002 Prius, over on some of the yahoogroups, but he deleted most of his old posts/data due to liability concerns. Since then he's moved to a 2004 Prius and has played some more with adding batteries... About all he has posted now on that work is available here:
http://privatenrg.com/PriusBattery.htm

·
Registered
202 Posts
mrv said:
Wayne had posted information about how he had added extra lead-acid batteries to his 2002 Prius, over on some of the yahoogroups, but he deleted most of his old posts/data due to liability concerns.
It makes a sad statement that this knowledge is suppressed because of the threat of a lawsuit.

Maybe mrv or somebody else would know, but isn't there a way to retrieve those posts with Google archives? I would be interested in reading about his ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts