Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stifter has just begun to stay in the D and R Positions when placed into gear. a simple touch will send it back to the center position.

It drives ok, except the Park will not engage when the shifter is in the D and R position. This began immediately after an oil change at the dealership, though I cannot imagine anything other than coincidence being connected between an oil cange and the sifter not returning to the center position.

I set-up an appointment to have this checked. the Service guy said he had just received a similar complaint from another Prius owner and wondered outloaud if this was going to become an issue.

I have about 55,000 miles on my '04 Prius

Is there a simple fix I can do at home? My dealer always manages to turn a $50 job into a $200 job.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 04. It only occurs when shifting into D. If I lightly nudge the shifter up, it springs back to the center location. My problem seems to occur only when the inside of the car is very hot (sitting in the sun).

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I haven't had a problem yet. I doubt the oil change would have anything to do with it any more than the car radio know sticking would. It's just a multiposition switch with spring return centering. And the actual switches aren't mechanical, they are magnetic/hall-effect transistors.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 2006. When you shift into D or R, the shifting happens correctly but the lever always returns to a neutral position. Is this a change over the normal behavior of the 2004? I had assumed that all previous years behaved like the 2006.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
rhackenb said:
I have a 2006. When you shift into D or R, the shifting happens correctly but the lever always returns to a neutral position. Is this a change over the normal behavior of the 2004? I had assumed that all previous years behaved like the 2006.
All shifters are the same from 2004 thru 2006.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
COst of Repair Sticking Shifter

I just had the steering recall service and asked about a fix for my shift lever. The service writer said it would cost $490 to replace the shifter unit as he said the mechs did not want to lubercate the shifter mechqanizim for fear it would damage elecronic compoents.

When I asked, the service writer said there should be no problems just using the unit as is.

if this happens to you, remember that the parking brake does not work unless teh shifter is in the center position - some thing that could cause accidents especially when you are used to the routine of simply p[ressing P when parking.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I assume I would just nudge it back to its proper position rather than leaving it stuck in "D". I can't imagine just leaving it stuck. Then you wouldn't need to worry about putting it in park.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The parking brake is a mechanical linkage by cable to the rear drum brake. The position of the shifter would not affect this.
However, it could prohibit you from placing the transmission in PARK or even turning the car off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, it is easy to leave it in the D or R position because after 1000s of shifts, you get use to the shifter just springing back to center and don't notice it when it sticks.

redwein said:
I assume I would just nudge it back to its proper position rather than leaving it stuck in "D". I can't imagine just leaving it stuck. Then you wouldn't need to worry about putting it in park.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When the shifter is stuck in the P or R position, the light on the Park Break Button does not turn on. I assume this means that the Park Break does not engage.

DanMan32 said:
The parking brake is a mechanical linkage by cable to the rear drum brake. The position of the shifter would not affect this.
However, it could prohibit you from placing the transmission in PARK or even turning the car off.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: COst of Repair Sticking Shifter

wgaustria said:
Isn´t this a call for warranty in the US as it would be over here in Europe?
Original poster has 55,000 miles on his 2004 Prius. I'd assume that this item would only be covered under the basic new car warranty, which is 3 years or 36,000 miles, so this car is out of warranty...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: COst of Repair Sticking Shifter

mrv said:
Original poster has 55,000 miles on his 2004 Prius. I'd assume that this item would only be covered under the basic new car warranty, which is 3 years or 36,000 miles, so this car is out of warranty...
OK, different continents - different warranties.

Toyota Europe offers 3 years or 62.500 miles which can be extended up to 5 years or 100.000 miles, hybrid parts are warranted for 8 years.

Walter

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't understand why they don't just lubricate it. There are lots of lubricants that will not harm electronics. Silicone grease is the first one I'd pick, there are many others as well.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, treydot,

Your "Park Break"(brake) has NEVER engaged by the simple push of a button. The "P" button with the light that you speak about is only the transmission lock which electrically engages the park'g pawl into the teeth of the ring gear to keep the transmission from moving.

If you really want to use your REAL park'g brake (as you always should, especially if parked on any slant, slope, or hill), that's the foot operated pedal next to the left side kick panel just above the foot rest for your left foot (assuming we're talk'g a left-hand drive car for the U.S.). To set the real brake, just press the pedal down (you'll hear the ratchet clicks, or will you---I don't remember ever really listen'g) & that engages the brake shoes on your rear brake drums. To release them, just press the same pedal again (a little harder & quicker this time), & your foot & the pedal should return upwards again, leaving you free to go.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
130 Posts
My shifter did that just after I'd purchased the extended warranty. Good thing, too. It was over $700 to replace the gear shift assembly.

If you're under warranty, get it fixed ASAP. If not, sorry....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.