Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just had my 10,000 service (read: oil change) at the dealer for a reasonable $25. However, two things of concern: when I was getting the car back, the service person told me "Don't see alot of these new Priuses. The technician didn't even know how to turn it on." :shock: Keep in mind this is a Toyota dealer. Second, When I got the car back, the battery indicator was in the red (first time ever). A couple of miles driving and it was right back to normal charge levels. The car is acting completely normal (that is: perfect :wink: )

Now, if the guy didn't know how to turn it on, did he know to turn it off to perform the oil change? My nightmare scenario is this: the tech drives the car onto the ramp, puts it in park, the car is silent, so it must be off, they drain the oil, meanwhile the battery discharges enough to click the ICE back on while it is empty of oil. Surely these folks at Toyota would know not to do this, right? Right? :roll: This isn't rocket science (well, the mechanicals of the Prius is close to rocket science, but a keyless entry is a more and more common feature in cars other than the Prius, and an oil change is an oil change).

Any stories out there of service (or lack thereof)?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You can find lots of stories if you search... These days, I call a day or two in advance to find out when the prius-certified techs will be working.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I frequently get my car back with 2 bars left. It makes me wonder also, as you don't have to idle the car to change the oil. You reminded me that not only don't you have to idle the car, but since there is a point where there is no oil, YOU BETTER NOT!

I am getting my oil changed tomorrow. If I see 2 bars, I will definitely question how it got that way, esp if I turn off the AC before handing over the car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would think........we have some P* Certified Techs browsing here?
Would one of you guys like "chime-in" on this?

What could we (your "clients") ask the service writer up front at any service department.......that assure us they have a qualified person to work on our P*?
Should we ask to meet their certified guy and see some credentials? If we do get to meet with them......what would be a fail-safe question to weed-out the imposters?

I'm just brain-storming here!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There was a good discussion about the issues of competence on PriusChat. Rick and Kyle were our 'resident' master techs, and gave candid comments.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Too bad you can't get them on this site where I have found no evidence of even a Toyota mechanic posting in the past thirteen months. I was at the dealer for my 5,000 mile check with oil change and tire rotation for approximately forty five minutes. Had an appointment at their request and they were waiting for me. I got the coffee down but hadn't finished the doughnut. Do you leave your cars with a dealer all day for these simple checks?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
hyperion said:
Too bad you can't get them on this site where I have found no evidence of even a Toyota mechanic posting in the past thirteen months. I was at the dealer for my 5,000 mile check with oil change and tire rotation for approximately forty five minutes. Had an appointment at their request and they were waiting for me. I got the coffee down but hadn't finished the doughnut. Do you leave your cars with a dealer all day for these simple checks?
Kyle just joined.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts