Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New motor:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/newswire. ... plate.html

This new motor sounds like it may provide the impetus for a very fast series hybrid as well as all EV. Readings don't give a good idea as to whether it can be used as a generator when run in reverse. Since there are no permanent magnets, probably not.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Fear not,
This is clearly important technology that WILL definitely be supressed by big oil or some other evil empire.

Just look what they did to the water combustion engine and the ever popular perpetual motion device.

So, in effect, they'll be allowing hybrid vehicles to continue to thrive just by their normal evil deeds.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the Prius is designed so the ICE can be swapped out with any technology. They'd definitely have to use a bigger battery and the current motor as mainly a generator.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Excellent, an electric/electric hybrid. That should easily dodge the big oil juggernaut since they've not show interest in squelching hybrids.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what they talked about with substituting a fuel cell for the ICE. That would be the same thing as an electric/electric hybrid. I'm assuming this new motor is very efficient as a motor but because it has no permanent magnets, it probably is based on AC induction. These aren't nearly as efficient as the Prius' PM based motors when acting as an alternator particularly at low speeds. They could just as easily throw in the Toshiba Li-Ion batteries and this motor for an all electric car. They wouldn't have to worry about efficiency of the new motor in alternator mode, unless they found a way to keep the speed of the motor up as the Prius slowed down. And I don't see an impediment to them putting a really small engine, say the Insite ICE, to driving this motor either as a series hybrid. That would be like a series/parallel/parallel or a (series/parallel)/parallel hybrid. :lol:

Personally I would rather see a CNG Prius. I could fill up at home.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you substitute a fuel cell (and additional or larger electric motor) for the ICE, you would have a hydrogen/electric hybrid, not an electric/electric hybrid.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course I still haven't figured out why they would want to make an ICE burning hydrogen that they make from natural gas or propane.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This motor sounds similar to what Rasertech have come up with.

Quite clever really, by making it more efficient, less heat is built up in the coils, so more current can be passed through before the motor starts to melt! More current = more power! 8)

They have a motor of a similar size to MG2 in the Prius that gives out 500 bhp! :shock:

Check it out here:

http://www.rasertech.com/monaco.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts