Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time it rains, the alarum of my 04 Prius goes off. Usually in the middle of the night. The garage says that the internal sensors are the cause and are trying to find if TOYOTA has a solution. Meanwhile, I am to switch off the internal sensors by pressing the button located under the steering column every time I leave the car. Seems to work and it doesn't affect the wireless locking or immobiliser. Any of you have similar experience or know how to fix it? :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I assume that the UK Prius has an
installed glass breakage sensor as
part of the alarm package?

In the US, the glass breakage sensor
is a separate accessory item, usually
installed by the dealer. It's
basically a microphone that is tuned
to the inside of the car, listening
for loud things like the sound of
breaking glass... A few people
reported having issues with the
sensitivity of the microphone set
too strong, so the alarm went off
during thunderstorms and other such
loud noises. There's just a simple
switch to turn down the microphone
a bit, which should fix the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sensitive Anti-Theft protection

Thanks mrv but my alarum goes off when it rains with no sound of any loud noises. I tried knocking on the roof and the windscreen with the alarum set but I couldn't trigger it. It appears to be only heavy rain that does it. Can the sensitivity control be accessed easily??

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: Sensitive Anti-Theft protection

Loumaule said:
Thanks mrv but my alarum goes off when it rains with no sound of any loud noises. I tried knocking on the roof and the windscreen with the alarum set but I couldn't trigger it. It appears to be only heavy rain that does it. Can the sensitivity control be accessed easily??
I don't know.

I occasionally browse the prius_uk yahoogroup, and I've seen a few others with your problem there. I don't recall if there was a fix or anything posted, but you may want to look or ask there:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/prius_uk/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oversensitive car alarm

I too have had this problem with even light rain. I'm keen to find a solution for obvious reasons. I had to wash my car with a door open to stop it going off.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey folks,
Just a guess here, but is the alarm stuff under the hood, and do your Prii qualify for the hood seal recall? Perhaps moisture is getting under there and setting the alarm off...with luck the additional hood seal would help.

rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts