Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just on E-bay and I saw a toyota dealership selling a 2004 package #9 prius for a way marked up price! Can they do that?!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, but this was the dealership that was selling it. How is this right if there are so many people on waiting lists?

·
Registered
112 Posts
No clue. These Dealers already make enough money off these cars. Lucky for me, All the dealers i've talked to sell for the proper price.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It's a free country. They can sell for whatever the market will bear. They make a reasonable profit at MSRP, and most dealers do that. But a few are sleazeballs.

If a dealer has a list, and a contractual agreement (written or verbal) to sell to the people on the list in the order they signed on, at a specified price, he is legally required to fulfill that contract. But if a dealer chooses not to use a list, selling instead to whoever he likes, or if a dealer has not quoted a price to the people on his list, then he is under no legal obligation.

However, you can inform Toyota if you know of a dealer who charges over MSRP, and hope that maybe they will allocate him fewer cars, sending them instead to dealers who charge MSRP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts