Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2004 Prius and I'm 6'0" tall. I find that I cannot move the seat back far enough to be comfortable. I've asked an independant mechanic and a dealer if they can modify it and they both said "no" because of safety concerns, specifically that this would mess up the air bag timing which they say depends on seat position.

The main problem is this:
Since I can't move the seat back far enough, my legs are bent a lot. This causes my foot to want to rest flat on the ground. So, when driving, I'm constantly pulling my foot up (as to not be flooring the car) and since I drive a lot, my shins actually get soar. If I could move the seat back, I could extend my legs more and my foot would naturally be more perpendicular to the floor.

One silly idea I came up with was to put a bungie chord around the gas pedal so it's really hard to push down and it could support my foot. Although this seems brilliant right now, I have a nagging feeling this might cause some unforseen problems.

Any ideas for either making the seat go back further or other adjustments I can make? Any other big people have this problem (although I'm not that big).

I know I sound like a complainer here, I really love the car and I tried to ignore this but it continues to bug me...

Thanks a lot,
Joe

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
This has been an interesting subject and it only proves to me that height isn't the only factor. Evidentually a lot of other things come into consideration. I'm six feet tall but if I put seat to far back steering position becomes uncomfortable. (obviously arm length) As for the foot problem several sports cars I have owned (before cruise control) placed a small "foot rest" on floorboard just left of accelerator pedal. On long trips you were able to just "roll over" foot to add power. Sounds a lot more complicated than it is, but it did work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pushing the seat back further would not work (probably) because your arms
would end up too far away. I am over 6'5'' tall and I do not have the seat
even as far back as it will go. Reclining the seat a bit and raising the
steering wheel all the way up helps a lot. Yes, my legs are bent, but I think
they always would be unless I could put them under the engine. ;)

Cruise control helps a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ray, The pillow under my thigh really helps, thanks for the great suggestion!!! I just wonder whether it will start bothering my thigh but I think I can find a happy medium...
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts