Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a set of seat covers from GT Covers. They look good and durable, and they went on without a hitch. It is apparent they have made, installed, fitted, and tweaked them many times over by now, because the fit is excellent. The ruggedness is a welcome change from the usual 1/4" nylon straps with S-hooks. These are thick, strong, and fit perfectly.

The mask was a little harder. It's th Toyota mask, but it fits a little awkwardly around the grille. The hooks just don't want to catch the grille bars well. I can' t imagine taking this thing on and off to wash the car. Jury is out on this one. At least I'll avoid the chips and scratches I started getting on the highway.

Now I have to find a windshield shade that will fit around my radar detector, and I'll be ready for a little more heat this summer.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Good to hear the seat covers go on well. We just ordered some that shoudl be coming in next week.

For the mask, yeah it does seem strange at first around the grille area. But mine seals itself up very well and I haven't been able to find things stuck underneath. So far I've had mine on for 2 months and have taken the hood part off every 2 weeks or so to wash underneath. I figure for the rest, it'll come off every 6 months for a wax job. We have that ToyoGuard Sealant Cleaner to clean up any paint fogging.

Let us know what you decide to do with the mask...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One hint for the front covers... You'll have to release the original seat cover flap from the underside of the frame (from behind), in order to push the new covers' flaps between the back and seat and hitch them underneath.

The instructions don't tell you this, but you have to do it. The new bottom snugs with it's own straps, and the top's flap (which comes from the front side and tucks into the gap between top and seat) holds to the bottom with velcro (if I remember correctly). Then you reconnect the original seat cover's flap under the seat.

The end result is that the flap from the top holds to the bottom with velcro, after the bottom is snugged down taut. I had doubts at first it would hold, but it's on like glue now and looks like it isn't stressed, so it shoud last.

This will make sense when you try it. It makes for a tight fit that won't slide around. It took a while to see how to do it, but it is a good design that should stay taut. Take your time and it will become clear.

The backs take a lot of adjusting, but when all is done it is tight and well-fited. It even comes with covers for the little upholstered pieces between the seat back and the door frames.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As you gain experience taking the front mask off and reinstalling it, the job gets much easier and quicker. Still, I don't take it off every time I wash the car.

Roger

·
Registered
344 Posts
For me it's not that... it's just that there is so little clearance between the headlight and the fender that we had to push those flaps in with a screwdriver! I guess our car was built more tightly than other Prii... because that was the hardest part of the job.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The seat covers finally came and the install was quite easy. I see what you meant about removing the back cover straps. Thanks for the tip.

Now to wait a few days and readjust a little after wear-in. :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Glad yours fit and look as great as mine. Did you also receive a console cover as I did?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts