Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I think this may have been covered to some extent before, but I have been having a lot of trouble getting used to the seat in my '05 Prius and wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience and a successful solution.

I got an ObusForme inflatable lumbar cushion and that has done wonders, but the seat bottom is also problematic for me...I get a deep pain in the back of my right thigh after not much time, and I think it's due to (1) the stiffness of the seat (compared to an '03 Camry) and (2) there is a hard bit of structure at the front edge of the seat, not too deep under the padding, and it lines up with the tender spot. Sure wish I could adjust the seat tilt, like on the Camry...

I'm trying varying thicknesses of soft fabric under my butt, and that helps a bit. My local dealer has suggested contacting a fellow who does their warrantee seat work, and he claims to be successful at removing the seat cover, taking out foam here, putting more foam there, and when all feels right he replaces the cover. Price range of $150 to $500, since he works by the hour. I'm a bit hesitant due to the possibility of this becoming an expensive wild goose chase.

Has anyone tried this solution before? Can it work? Do you think the structural cross piece can be lowered at all? Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cattmatt said:
Hi all.

I'm trying varying thicknesses of soft fabric under my butt, and that helps a bit. My local dealer has suggested contacting a fellow who does their warrantee seat work, and he claims to be successful at removing the seat cover, taking out foam here, putting more foam there, and when all feels right he replaces the cover. Price range of $150 to $500, since he works by the hour. I'm a bit hesitant due to the possibility of this becoming an expensive wild goose chase.

Has anyone tried this solution before? Can it work? Do you think the structural cross piece can be lowered at all? Any advice is appreciated!
Yes, I am not crazy about the drivers seat , the foam feels too firm and the seat seems too short with no support for the lower thigh. I am hoping that the foam will get softer over time or I will get used to it. Right now I only have 3500mi on it , I will give it to 10k mi before I operate on it.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for suggestions.

I am surprised that toyota dosen't know that americans have bigger butts and longer thighs than japanese people.

HEY TOYOTA !!
AMERICANS HAVE BIG BUTTS !!!
WE NEED BIGGER SEATS !!!
OTHER THAN THAT THE PRIUS IS A GREAT CAR !!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I noticed the same thing. I bought custom cut seat covers with a more durable material and before installing them I went and got an inexpensive mattress pad made of memory foam. I cut a new pad for each seat and then put the new covers on. They are awesome!! The only drawback is I now sit 1/2" to 3/4" higher, but it is totally worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Black05 said:
I noticed the same thing. I bought custom cut seat covers with a more durable material and before installing them I went and got an inexpensive mattress pad made of memory foam. I cut a new pad for each seat and then put the new covers on. They are awesome!! The only drawback is I now sit 1/2" to 3/4" higher, but it is totally worth it.
That's great to hear! I had found out about a place (will visit today) which has a somewhat pricy ($85) wedge of memory foam that should be the size of the seat bottom, slightly angled. But now that I know it may well be the solution, then hey, it beats $150+.

Thanx for the tip, Black05!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cattmatt said:
That's great to hear! I had found out about a place (will visit today) which has a somewhat pricy ($85) wedge of memory foam that should be the size of the seat bottom, slightly angled. But now that I know it may well be the solution, then hey, it beats $150+.

Thanx for the tip, Black05!
Odd quoting myself...

...anyway, I visited "Relax the Back" and checked out two memory foam/"tempurpedic" pillows, one a very well-formed one, contoured to the thighs & butt, made probably for use on hard office seats, and the other a wedge. The wedge had a bottom layer of firmer foam, with an upper layer of memory foam. Although the former was a better fit, it really made me sit too high. Additionally the clerk said that the wedge had me in better posture (I tried both in my Prius outside).

So for $75 I got a good pillow. It doesn't quite solve the problem (and I suspect that I'm having a sensitive episode in that leg since my left leg seems pretty comfortable) but it's a good compromise and maybe my situation will improve, now that the nerve won't be so abused.

I still think Toyota should make better seats for this car, however!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Two things that helped me:

1. carry wallet in front pants pocket, not rear (nothing bigger than a comb in the rear).

2. walk a lot, at least ten miles per week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts