Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having now actually seen these horrendous manifestations on the sides and rears of two separate vehicles, I can honestly say I'd rather take my lumps in the regular lanes than apply those monstrosities to my new Prius...

The stickers are just crap! I might as well have dinner plates afixed to my car...

·
Registered
224 Posts
My friend who got a Prius 2 months ago didn't like all the bureaucracy of FasTrak and decided against the stickers for THAT reason.

I say, sour grapes all...

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I kind of figured there would be an element of California society which would give the big raspberry to the idea of affixing really ugly, really sticky stickers to the finishes of their brand new beauties. :twisted:

I wouldn't do that either. Well, once again, unless you get in lockstep with the bureaucracy you are just plain out of luck.

So much for just letting the hybrids drive in the HOV lanes without recourse. Instead you have to charge a fee and make up a document and pay people to administer it, and develop computer systems to track the users and issue adhesive, reflective dinner plates to identify the players. Ridiculous! Consider it is probably costing the State of California $20/enrolled hybrid for this program, when it would have cost nothing if you had just created a list of exempted vehicles and had it over with.

And people wonder why California, and other states, are broke? :roll:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got my CA DMV "Clean Air Vehicle" HOV stickers in the mail yesterday and put them on my 2002 Prius, which turns 4 years old this week.

I've been waiting for this day for more than 4 years. We early Prius owners (I also briefly owned a 2001 Prius) hoped "some day" something like this would be possible, and now it finally is.

Could CA's program be implemented any better? Maybe. But personally I'm fine with it.

These are still early days for hybrid, low emission, high efficiency vehicles. 10 years from now we'll hopefully look back and chuckle about the minor bumps along the way.

But talk here about lawsuits, petitions, and whining about HOV stickers seems petty.

I'm proud to have these stickers on my Prius.

$3.00/gallon gasoline? I figure I pay $1.50/gallon. Plus I got a tax deduction. Plus I pollute far less than most drivers. Plus I drive a super-reliable, cool, quiet, hi-tech car. And now, for $8 I get to drive solo in the HOV lanes.

So, no, I'm not going to complain about stickers.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo
CA "MO MPG"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seems like it's time to ask the stupid question, so I'll just do it: why do we need stickers at all?

I mean: whoever is in charge finally decided that a single driver may drive a Prius in the HOV lane with because it does 47 mpg or better. Yay.

At this point, isn't it enough for a CHP Officer to see that the vehicle in the HOV lane is a Prius? The vehicle has been approved, right??

I can't believe how much more trouble we might have to go through because the stickers are not in the right place... :evil: + :!: + :!: and :!: again!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I see my car as transportation - not as art.

Stickers arrived today and instantly went on the car. The side stickers are a bit lower than on the DMV drawing - they're stuck to the black plastic aerodynamic part.

At 5PM I left the office for the freeway, and instead of a 15 minute wait creeping down that l--o--n--g ONramp, I took the HOV lane and found only two cars waiting at the bottom. 15 seconds later I was roaring off!

I really like those beautiful, artistic, tasteful, gorgeous, yellow stickers!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Eisenson said:
I see my car as transportation - not as art.
I agree 150% with you. That's why I will put my stickers wherever they want.

At the same time, though, I really believe they could'be made everyone's life a lot easier if they had put some effort into making the whole process less cumbersome.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"At this point, isn't it enough for a CHP Officer to see that the vehicle in the HOV lane is a Prius? The vehicle has been approved, right?? "

It matters because the Cali law only allows 75,ooo hybrids to use the HOV lanes, and without stickers, the CHP won't know who is legal and who is not. It looks like the limit will br hit in only a few short months.

·
Registered
61 Posts
And there's probably $300k profit in it for the state. What's curious is that the price is only $8. I believe CA would sell precisely the same number of decals if the price were $50, or even more.

·
Registered
736 Posts
saw two hov stickers

Edo said:
Seems like it's time to ask the stupid question, so I'll just do it: why do we need stickers at all?

I mean: whoever is in charge finally decided that a single driver may drive a Prius in the HOV lane with because it does 47 mpg or better. Yay.

At this point, isn't it enough for a CHP Officer to see that the vehicle in the HOV lane is a Prius? The vehicle has been approved, right??

I can't believe how much more trouble we might have to go through because the stickers are not in the right place... :evil: + :!: + :!: and :!: again!
You are right as far as the Prius is concerned. It is easily identified, as is the Honda Insight. However, the Honda Civic Hybrid looks just like the regular Civic, except for small badging on the rear end. So, rather than discriminate against the Civic, sold, I suspect, in far fewer numbers, a sticker for everyone is required. It also serves to limit the total number of permits issued to the 75k mandated by the legislation allowing it in the first place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Edo. It's the blankety-blank bridge tolls lousing us up. That's why we need to deposit a fund with the Fast Pass people. HOV drivers in HOV lanes sail right on through the toll plaza and the toll is deducted from their account. Since I retired I never use the bridge, but what would I do when I had to and found myself in the HOV lane and couldn't get out. It's true. When traffic is bumper to bumper in the other lanes, they won't let you squeeze out ot eh HOV lane because mentally they're accusing you of chiseling while they remained honest. I'd have to drive through and pay a big fat fine for jumping the turnstyle. There has to be a better way. Awww. No way. :cry:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks all for your replies: I left work, went home, had dinner and am now in a better mood. :oops:

I was just remembering the flimsy plastic parking permit I got when I attended a couple classes at De Anza College: you rubbed it against your sleeve and it stuck to the inside of your windshield. You could even move it to a different location if you wanted, as long as it was visible.

Since here we'd be talking about seeing a 2.5" x 2.5" sticker on a moving vehicle, DMV could've just prescribed a spot on the rear windshield ("slap it on the top right corner!"), and Prius owners, CHPs, DMV and FasTrack - everyone would've been happy.

I guess I'll just stop complaining and wait/hope for my stickers to arrive in the mail soon.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I was concerned by how the stickers would look too. However, I put them on today and I don't think they look nearly as bad as I thought they would. I think they can kind of grow on you. You can actually put them all quite low in their prescribed location (below the crease line) and they are proportioned OK for that. I'm not saying I'm in love with them but all of the complaining seems a bit overblown for the time savings you can get.

·
Registered
93 Posts
redwein said:
I was concerned by how the stickers would look too. However, I put them on today and I don't think they look nearly as bad as I thought they would. I think they can kind of grow on you. You can actually put them all quite low in their prescribed location (below the crease line) and they are proportioned OK for that. I'm not saying I'm in love with them but all of the complaining seems a bit overblown for the time savings you can get.
You must be an active member of the "Department of Redundancy Department"...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have to put my vote in also.
I have no complaints about the yellow stickers, though it really stands out on Tideland color...

Today, I save 10 minutes on commute off yesterday's 35 minutes drive. I figure that I will save 10x260working days=2600 minuts per year = 43 hours per year. 43 hours wasted on the road. Yellow stickers, I love you!

I probably saw about 5 Prius today. None other than mine had the stickers. It is not that popular yet.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
After I posted this here, I started the other topic to see how many people weren't unhappy with the whole thing. Granted it was mostly the same text but in two separate contexts which, in my opinion, made it not redundant.

·
Registered
93 Posts
redwein said:
After I posted this here, I started the other topic to see how many people weren't unhappy with the whole thing. Granted it was mostly the same text but in two separate contexts which, in my opinion, made it not redundant.
Point well taken. I take back everything I said....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts