Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering (out of curiosity) is that possible to make backup of Satnav DVD?

I've been playing with it and here's what I've found so far:

1. The DVD is made by Aisin and has maps in KIWI format.
2. The disc is DL but and has three types of FS (ISO, UDF, Juliet). Which still refers to one track (you can access it in different ways).
3. The file structure is as follows (for UK DVD):

<206> - Bootloader v2.06
<214> - Bootloader v2.14 Don't ask me why there are two BLs.
<BMP> - Pictures in BMP format. These show maps coverage.
<IDX> - Index files for KIWI database. Consists of numerous files divided by the following categories: ARCSR (?), FMCD (?), FWYD/SR (Freeways?), ITSSD/SR (?), POIDT/SR (Place of Interest), SADSR (Address?), TELSR (Telephones?).

In the root directory there are the following files:
[ALLDATA.KWI] - Map data in Kiwi format
[DICVCE56.KWI], [DUMY0E.KWI], [DUMY1E.KWI], [DUMY1S.KWI] - Got not a single clue about these.
[INDEXDAT.KWI] - DB index
[LOADING.KWI] - BL or OS?
[VOICEDAT.KWI] - Voicedata :)
[COVERAGE.TXT] - List of BMP maps
[VERSION.TXT] - Version which you could see when you press Map Info button.

I tried to create DVD with only essential files on it (without POI indexes, etc). The disc size was 4.5Gb, which is OK to fit on a single disc. The result, however was far from satisfactory - this disc was rejected. I am not sure why: it could be because the original was created in ISO 9660 mode, where I couldn't recreate this due to ALLDATA.KWI being almost 3.5Gb. As you know, the ISO 9660 doesn't allow files more than 2Gb, so I decided to use UDF 1.02 (I know, it is bad, etc, but...) So, disc wasn't recognized.
It could be because of UDF or +RW or just a DVD brand... who knows.
Anyway, I am going to try couple more times with different settings.

BTW, if you want to know more about KWI (or Kiwi, that's it), here is
the latest spec of data format:
http://kiwi-w.mapmaster.co.jp/documents_eng.html

This is KIWI consortium headed by Toyota Mapmaster (note the URL),
while Denso and Aisin are both members of it.

Do anyone of you have more information about these kind of DVDs copying? I'll try to copy it once again by using ISOBuster and DL DVD burner over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Why would you want to bother?

When the next data update comes out, keep the old DVD for your backup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two reasons:

1. I don't want to pay 250 buck (or whatever) if something will happen to my disc.
2. Since it is impossible (I tried Toyota UK and local dealers!) to buy some version of this disc (Easter Europe, for example), it will be interesting to organize data swap.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Fair reasons, though I'd check copyright laws and license agreements before swapping ...

Now that dual layer burners are out, it might be possible to make a sector by sector copy of the disk... Of course, that won't help if they've futzed the reader to only read pressed media. Now that you've got me curious I suppose I'll be experimenting on my own when my car arrives...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Sorry if I am a numbskull for not "getting it"...

If you had said you were just curious, I suppose I would understand it, but that's not your claim.

So maybe I'll just pose a question: If the DVD is always in the drive, how could anything could "happen" to the DVD without also "happening" to the DVD drive itself.

It seems to me that if you never remove the DVD from the drive, and if something happens to it, you'll probably be filing a claim with your insurance company for both a new DVD drive and a new DVD.

(edit: Oh, heh..I just re-read it, you DID say it was from curiosity. :oops: )

(edit 2: Yeah, and upon another re-read, I thought you'd probably want to know that a "data-swap" is probably um.. "somewhat" illegal :eek: )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BIF

Well.. curiosity... yes and no :)

These two reasons still prevail, to be honest and I am curious if this process is possible at all. Is that more clear?

If the DVD is always in the drive, how could anything could "happen" to the DVD without also "happening" to the DVD drive itself.
Same thing that happened ty my Sony Xplode CD changer - the disc (Hooters "Nervous Night" to be precise - pressed disc, not made-at-home one) was damaged (scratched) when my other car been on bumpy road. Nothing happened to CD changer itself (I assume it been scratched during disc change as if it was laser head, the changer would probably be dead).
If you go through CD changer's warranty leaflet, they are not liable for CD damage.
So, just to be on a safe side, I decided to make backup of my GPS DVD. Is that illegal? I don't think so! Even Microsoft allow you to create one copy of any of its software as long as used as a backup copy.

I thought you'd probably want to know that a "data-swap" is probably um.. "somewhat" illegal
Not sure about that either. If there is absolutely no way to obtain product via official distributors (which I tried), which mean, copyright owner not present in your country,, then the copyright law could not be enforced. AFAIK.

[EDIT] BTW, I didn't sign (or had to accept) any T&C regarding this software as it came without any license agreement whatsoever. Have you?
[EDIT2] Don't get me wrong, I am not going to establish here (or elsewhere) s/w swapping community (you can ban me, you know :D)
But would it be wrong if before you are going to visit other country you are asking people who live in there for a copy of their local maps?

Ephemeral

I dont know much about this car but is it possible to watch DVD movies using this drive.
No. Theoretically, if someone will write BL for the system, I see no reason why it wouldn't be able to play unathored MPGs from the same disc as BL. But it wouldn't play authored discs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Watching DVD's

I suspect this car wil become a computer hackers dream. (I use the term with affection.) There are purely software based implementations of the decoder. Give the hackers time...
:wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
melgish said:
Why would you want to bother?

When the next data update comes out, keep the old DVD for your backup.
Doesn't work. Once you upgrade to a new DVD, the old one won't work any more. At least this was the case with the Prius-classic DVD upgrade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is located under the drivers seat, facing the rear. There is a rectangular black plastic cover over the front that will snap off. Behind that you will see a button which will open the drive slot. I haven't figured out how to eject the disc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thoughts On DVD Copying

The 8th and 9th layer of the OSI model are Politics and Religion. I am frustrated with people who make comments like "Isn't copying a DVD illegal" Guess what.. today nearly everything is illegal. I refuse to stop following laws that try to overrule my common sense. Laws are societies glue but we have taken this premise too far in this century. Intellectual property, Copy write laws etc. Have made it illegal for me to make a copy of a DVD that I paid for that I do not intend to sell? It does not matter why I want to learn about it or copy. Exploring technology, Reverse engineering, Creative thinking, and thrifty living should be encourage. How is copying some magnetic polarities on a disk illegal if you are not doing it to make money and hurt the manufacture?

Sorry for the Rant I just want Bif to try to see the other points of view on File copying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts