Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been notified that my salsa red #9 will be in next week. I ordered it early December. I was told it would be June before it came but the dealer had an unexpected allotment. For those who have had the Prius for a few months; now that the honeymoon is over are you happy with the MPG and how the car does what it's suppose to, ie., using the battery etc. One other observation; I took another test drive today and was alittle suprised that the engine would shut off at a stop light but turn back on almost immediately as I pulled away even with gentle throttle with the battery indicator almost on full. I love the Prius, it's just I want some other opinions before I plank down 26 large. I could get the Honda Hybrid for almost 10 K less, I know apples and oranges. :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I certainly would buy it again. I have almost 3,ooo miles. My commute is short so my mileage is not as good as it could be, but its still better than my previous car (mazda protege). It handles superbly even in snow. And its cool-looking. Yes!Yes!Yes! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congratulations on getting your car so soon!
runeridr said:
For those who have had the Prius for a few months; now that the honeymoon is over are you happy with the MPG and how the car does what it's suppose to, ie., using the battery etc.
I've been getting decent mileage - 42-46 MPG, and I take very short trips of 4 miles or less. On the highway I have no trouble getting the 50+ MPG advertised.

runeridr said:
One other observation; I took another test drive today and was alittle suprised that the engine would shut off at a stop light but turn back on almost immediately as I pulled away even with gentle throttle with the battery indicator almost on full.
You'll find it does this until it warms up. Here in Los Angeles when I drive in the morning and it's 50 degrees, that means about five minutes or so. Then I have no trouble using electric only at a stop light to go from a stop to about 20 mph without engaging the engine. It takes a little getting used to - a very light touch on the pedal. But I'm not afraid to just use the engine to get up to speed and alternate using the motor and coasting to keep going in "stealth" mode.

One other thing that many of us have noticed is the fuel gauge. Basically, when it tells you that you need to refuel, you have a quarter of a tank or so left. It's just something to get used to.

I have no regrets about my purchase.

·
Registered
397 Posts
runeridr said:
I've been notified that my salsa red #9 will be in next week. I ordered it early December. I was told it would be June before it came but the dealer had an unexpected allotment. For those who have had the Prius for a few months; now that the honeymoon is over are you happy with the MPG and how the car does what it's suppose to, ie., using the battery etc. One other observation; I took another test drive today and was alittle suprised that the engine would shut off at a stop light but turn back on almost immediately as I pulled away even with gentle throttle with the battery indicator almost on full. I love the Prius, it's just I want some other opinions before I plank down 26 large. I could get the Honda Hybrid for almost 10 K less, I know apples and oranges. :lol:
I have just passed 3,500 miles. So far I'm averaging 44.8 mpg and that is without a care in the world as to how long I can keep the car in stealth. At first it was fun to experiment, but I've come to trust the car to operate at it's most efficient without much help from me. Now I just drive it like anything else. I think this is the best car I've ever owned. I would buy another one tomorrow.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Take it if you can get it that quickly. If you really had to wait until June or later I'd say wait to see what changes are made for the '05. I'd pay more for electric adjustable seats and XM for sure. But I'm happy and would definately buy again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
salsa red is best!!

Hurrah! Another Prius driver - and the red will REALLY turn heads. I'm glad you found this site because it has answered lots of my concerns and helped me be a much happier Prius owner. I was really bummed out about my mileage at first (after all, they advertised 60!), but the more I learn from the helpful folks here, the more I appreciate my Prius. Yes, I'd do it again and the financial decision was a big one for me too. I've never paid this much for a car and usually don't buy new, but my Prius is fantastic. She's quiet, handles great, roomy and meets my needs in every way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Prius04 Pkg6. We ordered our Prius in Nov and received in Jan. We ordered blue pkg 5, but took 6 when offered. I then discovered this site which has been very helpful and would like to thank all who post here. I first learned of the Prius in Nov when reading an ad in O magazine. My husband and I were intrigued by the car; we had a 2000 Camry. Two days after getting the car, the check engine light came on. I had read another post about this happening so I was not alarmed. We took it to the dealer and it was a sensor had sealant (sp?) on it which they kept to burn off sealant. Two days later the light came on again so they replaced the sensor. We have averaged 45 mpg. We usually fill gas up once we get down to 3 bars on the gauge. I love seeing the look on the guys faces at the gas station when we fill up (in NJ you cannot pump your own gas) for $7 (plus gas). They ask us is it full? I think we will cut in half what we spent on gas per week. I had not seen the car until we picked it up. At first I thought it looks too tiny, but my husband reassured me that it was quite roomy inside. It is, and has plenty of leg room in the front and back. The dash makes me feel like we are in a van, and sometimes I even feel like we are sitting up high like a van. I hear you get better milage in warmer weather so I am looking foward to spring. We originally wanted 9 pkg but did not want to change cell phone companies as only 2 companies in our area had blue tooth technology so for us it was not worth getting. We love this "earth friendly" car. We love the display screen controls and smart key as well. I was also a little nervous about being on the cutting edge technology, but reading posts on this site made me feel more secure and Toyota backing the car the way they are as well as Motor Trend award (after we purchased the car) were all pluses. We have 3 road trips planned this summer, and I am looking forward to putting our car on the road. By the way, the tax deduction remained at $2,000 for cars purchased in 2004. I have also seen posts where Honda hybrid owners traded in their cars for the Prius. Go for it, enjoy!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love my Prius better than any car I have ever owned. It is the first 'full featured' car I have owned, since I alway had a low-end small pick up or econo-box car for my drive to work and my wife had the loaded minivans for hauling the kids. Kids are now gone, my wife has a 2003 Corolla LE - very nice - and I have a car I truly feel good about driving. I would buy another in a heart beat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a follow up if you read down this far. My Prius did come in and I am so glad I waited and did not opt for the Honda Hybrid. The honda is a great car but there's something about driving around with just the electric motor that puts a smile on my face. I have owned lots of cars but this one is by far the best. I has unique styling, very fuel efficient, roomy and safe. Thanks to all who have contributed to this posting and all the others, it made my decision easier.
Garrett

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've only had mine a month (600-plus miles) but YES in capital letters three feet high, I'd buy it again. Mileage on all very short trips at 20 degrees below zero F. with the heater on full-blast was 29 mpg - a big disappointment, but not enough to make me regret buying the car once I understood the factors involved (i.e., I didn't get a lemon, it's just my climate). Temperatures starting to approach the freezing point, still short trips and the heater on a lot, I'm up to 36 mpg, but part of this tankfull was before it warmed up.

Overall, the Prius is a lot more than 60 mpg. It is a luxurious, fun-to-drive super-ultra-low-emissions car that handles great on our very icy streets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yesor no

I drive 75 miles each way to work, I bought the 04 cuz I wanted better milage and my p/u gets 22 and my GS300 lex gets about 23. To make a long story short I was prepared to bitch and moan about the poor proformance etc. WRONG WRONG, it runs like a dream at 85. I average 42 mpg for my first 3,500 miles. If I get caught in traffic and drop to 65 or so it get in the low 50's. Ya I do have some items on my wish list, the seats suck, and the light interior color {my choice} is a disaster to keep clean.

would I get a new one, Yes with out hesitation, the o4 is slick to a fault.
It gets more attention than my 512 BB got, and that only cost 150 large.I plan on ordering an 05 300 lex hybred when the order bank is open.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: yes or no

moonlite said:
Ya I do have some items on my wish list, the seats suck, ...
Can you expand on that? What, exactly, do you not like about the seats? Just curious, as no one else has commented negatively on the seats.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've only put 1900 miles on it so far, but I will say right now that I would buy it. My commute is 31 miles each way, and here in Northern California the gas prices just went above $2/gallon again. I'm averaging 49 mpg. I love this car! It's replacing a '91 Tercel that consistently got 37 mpg. The Prius is a lot bigger, faster, and quieter. (And way cooler.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts