Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to move 550 lbs. of paving stones about 20 miles. I was thinking of folding down the rear seats and hauling them in the back of my Prius. Does anyone know if this much weight in back will be OK for my Prius to handle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
:roll: Owner's Manual says 385# passengers and luggage. So, I'd guess you "pays your money and takes your chances."

If it were my decision, I'd make two trips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
cooljw said:
I have to move 550 lbs. of paving stones about 20 miles. I was thinking of folding down the rear seats and hauling them in the back of my Prius. Does anyone know if this much weight in back will be OK for my Prius to handle?
550 lbs of stones in the driving compartment is also not save unless secured. In an accident you would be in a blender.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
:roll: Owner's Manual says 385# passengers and luggage.
That's in Kg. In Lbs, it's 845. Unless you weigh 295 pounds (or have other passengers with you that total 295 with your weight), you should be fine, assuming your cargo is secured.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
DanMan32 said:
ChasSuitt said:
:roll: Owner's Manual says 385# passengers and luggage.
That's in Kg. In Lbs, it's 845. Unless you weigh 295 pounds (or have other passengers with you that total 295 with your weight), you should be fine, assuming your cargo is secured.
I think my 2006 manual lists less.. like 810 or 820 or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Just be sure to inflate the tires so they can support the extra load. The load rating of tires depends on the pressure in them. Probably the 42/40 oft recommended here and elsewhere would be good. Limiting your speed will also help. I wouldn't try going 65, but 45 to 55 should be ok with that kind of load.

While "properly securing the load" is good advice, in this case I'm not sure you could. I doubt the tiedown points have the strength necessary. Definately try though. Load flat and spread the load as much as you can. If you have a sheet of plywood cover the stones with that and tie it down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Try to distribute the weight as close to the center of the car as possible; I believe the factory's load rating takes this into account.

I don't think the idea is for you to be able to load the car with, say, a 650lb. anvil, or like that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
rpm said:
I've done about 500 lb. of paving stones, + another 320 or so for my wife and I, for a 5 mile trip. No problem, but the rear was saggin!
That's not a very nice thing to say about your wife's rear! Oh, you meant the car :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
:oops: OOPS Danny... How right you are. My error... My Owner's Manual does say 385 kg = 845 POUNDS. Sorry 'bout that. 385 POUNDS really didn't make sense.

So... would you believe that's the first mistake I ever made?... well, would you believe the second?.... [In the spirit of "Get Smart"]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
:oops: OOPS Danny... How right you are. My error... My Owner's Manual does say 385 kg = 845 POUNDS. Sorry 'bout that. 385 POUNDS really didn't make sense.

So... would you believe that's the first mistake I ever made?... well, would you believe the second?.... [In the spirit of "Get Smart"]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Phish Phood said:
rpm said:
I've done about 500 lb. of paving stones, + another 320 or so for my wife and I, for a 5 mile trip. No problem, but the rear was saggin!
That's not a very nice thing to say about your wife's rear! Oh, you meant the car :lol:
MY rear was saggin after I loaded and unloaded that stuff...!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
"you can't ride in his little red wagon, the axle's broken and the wheels are sagging...."

Try being cooped up in a 1000 square foot building due to rain with around 50 kids singing this song. :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I ended up hauling just 43 rectangles (5 x 8 inch) and 43 squares (5 x 5 inch) pavers, which only stacked two layers deep with the rear seats folded down. I didn't take a photo because it didn't look like much cargo at all. But the payload weighed 600 pounds, and with my wife and I adding another 250 pounds I didn't want to load any more.

I didn't encounter any problems driving the cargo for 15 miles, but the rear was really sagging so I doubt I'll try that again.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top