Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought our '04 in for it's second service (10,000 mi) and we also told them to check for any service bulletins. We got a call later in the day that, while in connection with checking service bulletins, they were "flashing the ECU and they think a door may have been ajar which sent a signal to the unit while it was flashing resulting in total failure of the ECU"
This is obviously a major component failure, it's been 4 days now with no sign of a replacement unit so it's not something on a shelf in the parts dept.

I don't know enough about the electronics that control the cars systems to discern the validity of their story and would appreciate any knowledgeable input.

·
Registered
582 Posts
ecu flash flub

Not a door ajar, exactly. Others *have* reported such failure when the technicians allowed the 12 volt battery to become discharged during the process.

A door ajar could contribute to the process as you can see, but the correct procedure would be to have a supplementary charger attached to the 12 v battery.

In your shoes, I would strongly hint that I felt entitled to a replacement 12 v battery as well, seeing as how it has received a damaging total discharge under their roof.

I hope that they have provided you with an excellent loaner vehicle for the duration.

DAS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts