Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Run flat tires provide savings in fuel and weight reduction and, by eliminating the need for a spare tire, provide additional storage space. Would you favor this type of tire on a Prius? Would you consider this type of tire as replacement for your existing tires on your Prius?

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are several kinds of runflat tires. You have mentioned many of their virtues, but I am not sure about the "fuel saving" part. Do you draw that conclusion by thinking the elimination of a spare tire? No matter which kind of runflat you choose, they have some things bad in common for now
- they are heavier (costs you energy to rotate them - costs fuel)
- they are more expensive (by 30% or so)
- (for thick side wall type) they give harsh ride due to thick sidewall
- (for Honda's inner pad system - forgot the name) they are difficult to repair. You need special equipment to fix a flat (you do have to fix it eventually). Your neighborhood shop cannot fix them.
- (for nailguard type) they only works for small nails (1/4" diameter or smaller)

Among all, if I have to pick one, I will pick the thick sidewall type. However, automaker usually soften the suspension to compensate the harder sidewall of tires. I would not put them on as after-market. When Corvette had them as standard tires, even Corvette owners dislike them in general. Go figure. :)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
ceric said:
...When Corvette had them as standard tires, even Corvette owners dislike them in general. Go figure. :)
Not completely true. When I had my Corvette, I didn't really "dislike" them. They didn't have an "awful" ride or anything. But there are lots of reasons to not choose runflats, at least not for Corvette, anyhow.

1) Yes, gas mileage was lower, because they are heavier.
2) You can only go 20 to 50 miles (slowly) or so on a flat before irreperable damage begins to set in.
3) For Corvette, they required special training for flat repair and mounting; partly because of the sensors on the rims.
4) Only one place to buy them from; one specific Goodyear in town; can't shop around. Not even the Chevy dealer would do Corvette tires!
5) For Corvette, you couldn't rotate them, because front and rear were different sizes, and they were directional.
6) Price. Yow! I paid $1,600 for a set of four (plus mounting & balancing) once.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts