Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible?

I'm thinking that I can jack one side up so both tires clear and switch the front-to-back and back-to-front.

Do same to opposite side.

Then jack front of car up so both fronts are off the ground and switch left-front to right-front and visa-versa (whew!).

This should satisfy the front-to-rear switch as well as the criss-cross of the rears to the fronts. Older car didn't require the criss-cross but merely a front-to-rear and rear-to-front switch which made for less jack time.

Is this plan valid with one floor jack?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Starting in 2004 Toyota recommends front-back rotation, without side-to-side rotation. Only one jack is needed, lifting both front and rear, one side at a time.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
KTPhil said:
Starting in 2004 Toyota recommends front-back rotation, without side-to-side rotation. Only one jack is needed, lifting both front and rear, one side at a time.
Actually, the 2001 had the X pattern. starting in 2002, the manual was changed to the front/back rotation. Why? Only Toyota knows...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

I saw in some downloadable PDF file for the 2004-2005 model (the link published elsewhere on this site is: http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-userguide.htm on page 13 this appears:

"Every 5,000 to 7,500 miles (8,000 to 12,000 km) the tires should be rotated, for best lifetime performance. Rotation should be in a "roll-back, cross-forward" pattern. (That's front tires to the rear without switching sides, and rear tires to front switching sides.)"

However, I just grabbed the manual to confirm and that info on John's site above is wrong. Owner's Manual for the 2005 on page 295 shows simple front-to-back and back-to-front, same side. That's much easier.

Now I gotta look up a windshield service place for the newly cracked windshield. :(

·
Registered
582 Posts
rotating tires with one jack

If you temporarily involve the donut spare, you can cross sides with one jack.

Might we all agree that the Toyota-supplied jack is but a toy for roadside emergencies? Asian import hydraulic floor jacks can be as cheap as $20, and they will absolutely make your tire rotations easier and safer. True patriots will prefer domestic $150 floor jacks.

Speaking of safety, setting the parking brake and using suitable wheel chocks will help, especially if you are working on any degree of incline. If you are going to put your corpus under the thing, please use jack stands!

DAS

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: rotating tires with one jack

tochatihu said:
Asian import hydraulic floor jacks can be as cheap as $20, and they will absolutely make your tire rotations easier and safer.

Speaking of safety, setting the parking brake and using suitable wheel chocks will help, especially if you are working on any degree of incline. If you are going to put your corpus under the thing, please use jack stands!

DAS
Speaking of which, once I got my Prius, I quickly realized I didn't want the dealer (or Jiffy Lube) doing my oil changes and tire rotations.

PepBoys advertised a set of a hydralic jack, two jack stands, two wheel chocks, and a creeper all for the whopping price of $29.99.

There's really no excuse for not having jack stands and wheel chocks.

DGStan

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It is interesting that the Prius owner's manual suggests rotating front to back only, not switching sides, while the Goodyear tire manual does suggest switching sides, moving the rear to the opposite front for front wheel drive cars.

·
Registered
261 Posts
so, I bought the Pep Boys special so that I can rotate the tires myself (when changing to the winter tire package, if Tire Rack ever sends it!)...anyone know the best spot to put the jack on the side, so that both wheels (on the same side) are off the ground at the same time? I'm not going to cross when rotating.

thanks
rpm

·
Registered
319 Posts
Once upon a time, the rule was radials front-to-back. Something about the belts inside not being happy about being spun in the opposite direction once they got used to the way they were originally oriented. I have no idea why radials are now OK with crossover rotation, unless the belts are placed more accurately now with no 'spin memory' to worry about.

Tripletreds being mono-directional, no crossover for me...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts