Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a roof rack for my 2005 Prius. I'd like to occasionally carry a kayak, or surfboard or small loads of lumber.I know Yakima and Thule make them. Are there other alternatives? Can anyone speak to the versatility of any of these options? Lastly, is there a way to relocate the antenna to allow for a load that might interfere? Many thanks, Craig

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use the Yakima setup on our 05 Prius. The fit seems pretty good. The local Rack Attack store recommended the Yakima fit over the Thule for this particular car (they sell both). On vacation this year we had the rack on top with a cargo box and two bicycles plus a hitch mount bike rack with two additional bikes.

The antenna should just bend down without being harmed if a large item is placed where it might interfere.

·
Registered
93 Posts
CraigRoche said:
I'm looking for a roof rack for my 2005 Prius. I'd like to occasionally carry a kayak, or surfboard or small loads of lumber.I know Yakima and Thule make them. Are there other alternatives? Can anyone speak to the versatility of any of these options? Lastly, is there a way to relocate the antenna to allow for a load that might interfere? Many thanks, Craig
I use a soft rack I got from wetsand.com.
http://www.wetsand.com/store/product.as ... &CatId=159

It can easily hold my long and short board at the same time. Just remember to twist the straps, or you will get that buzz!

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed a Thule rack for my sea kayak. Not a perfect fit, but worked ok. I might take it back in favor of the Yakima - thanks for the feedback on the Rack Attack recommendation.

Took my 18', 65lb. kayak up to Deception Pass last weekend - RT of 350 miles. I was pleasantly surprised by the handling - no problems. Even more pleasantly surprised by the FE - 48+ mpg for the trip!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts