Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pro's or cons for a roof mount bike rack or a hitch mount? I was looking at a roof rack so I can carry my kayaks, But the hitch mount looks like it will have less drag on the car. :?:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Pro's: Leaves room inside car. Awesome for whatever. I use my hitch for skiis, snowboards, bikes, and other things.

Con's: Mileage hit, mpg's will go down slightly. But I could care less!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I don't have empirical proof, but I would agree, a hitch mount would seem more efficient and be easier to load/unload. The items at the rear of the car would be mostly in the dead airflow, rather smack in the airflow.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
How do the roof racks attach in this age of no rain drip molding above the doors? Doesn't it necessarily distort the door gasket or bend the window frame after a while?

That is part of why I chose the hitch rack-- no damage to the car, and for bikes, far easier to load/unload.

·
Registered
9 Posts
roof rack

we have been using a Thule roof rack for our tandem (now stolen) and 2 other bikes for 10 years, and just transferred it from our '87 Ciera (donated) to the 2002 Prius purchased to replace the Olds. Wind resistance exists, but does not prove problematic. The rack also enables us to use the hauling ability of the vehicle for items other than bikes. The Thule rack has 'feet' that can be purchased to adapt the system to other cars, and is very secure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
paint rub

I did get a little paint rub on the Olds, but so far the paint on the roof of the Prius seems to be holding up. I apply a bit of carnauba wax to the roof before installing it, also the clearcoat helps protect somewhat. I do sympathize about the lifting situation however. That tandem got awful heavy when came time to put it back on top. Our new recumbents are not much better. The only problem with recumbents is the wheel length is longer that the car (tandem). Happy Trails!.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts