Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used this term recently in describing an auto incident. I also used it in one or two of my posts here. Some have asked me where it came from.

Since I love telling the story:

Nelson Rockefeller was Gov of NY from about 58-73. His family was one of wealthiest in America (Standard Oil, Chase Manhattan, Rockefeller Center NYC, etc etc)

When Ford became Pres in 74 upon Nixon's resignation, he appointed Rockefeller as VP.

When Ford ran for reelection, he chose Bob Dole, not Rocky, as his VP.
Nevertheless, Rocky campaigned for the Ford/Dole ticket.

At a Ford/Dole rally at NYU, some hecklers got on Rocky's case, so he treated them to what he had learned well from the streets of NYC. A news photographer "captured the moment" and it was the front page everywhere...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truth is, no one ever gets close enough to notice :shock:

Once the VP of the U.S. did it on the front page, it became ok for EvErYoNe... 8)

·
Registered
919 Posts
I remember that period of time. If you recall, Nelson Rockefeller also died in somewhat of a compromising situation--media didn't play it up back then as they would today. Nevertheless, I always liked Nelson Rockefeller--a moderate Republican which are far and few between nowadays.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
evander said:
I remember that period of time. If you recall, Nelson Rockefeller also died in somewhat of a compromising situation--media didn't play it up back then as they would today. ...
In the saddle?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
"

GIVING THE FINGER"

Before the battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English long bow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous weapon was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the Yew." (or "pluck Yew")

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying "See, we can still pluck Yew."
"PLUCK YEW"

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F' and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-fingered salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

And Yew thought Yew knew everything!

"

·
Registered
110 Posts
hyperion, do i feel a little stretching here. i too have heard of the battle story but i always thought that the f part came from the old german meaning to strike as in " strike you helmut!!...and the horse you rode in on!" 8)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
hyperion said:
"

GIVING THE FINGER"

Before the battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English long bow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous weapon was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the Yew." (or "pluck Yew")

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying "See, we can still pluck Yew."
"PLUCK YEW"

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F' and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-fingered salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

And Yew thought Yew knew everything!

"
<Sigh> http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.htm

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I was just going to say that we all accept Snopes as a final note, BUT they can be wrong as long as they can be right. I like the "finger" It makes much more sence. Next you'll be telling DanMan he really doesn't own the Brooklyn Bridge and he might as well tear up that "bill of sale."
And telling me that "giving the bird" has no merit either!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
mrv said:
mrfredsporty said:
geeesh, mr v you are such a party pooper!! :shock:
fyi, it's not Mr. V. it's M.R.V. last I checked I was not male. ;-)
I think we should take yer word for it! :) I'm sure not gonna check!

Anyhow, if I've learned anything around here, it's Sanny <> Dude. ;)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
evander said:
I remember that period of time. Nevertheless, I always liked Nelson Rockefeller--a moderate Republican which are far and few between nowadays.
Yeh, I liked him too. I lived in NY at the time. One of the many stories as to why Ford did not choose him to run for VP in 76 was that he was too center for a Republican.

Although born to great wealth, and upper crust society, he would go into the streets of NYC-- like Little Italy, and eat pizza on the sidewalk with the shopkeepers, into the Jewish area and eat Matzoh, visit an Irish or German pub with the blue collar workers. Ordinary folk seemed to love him, and if I remember right, his popularity increased even more after he made the "salute" acceptable.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
and now we have a Shrub...
Go figger... :roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts