Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I had the first chance to drive solo in the carpool lanes since I put on the stickers (I-5 north through San Juan Capistrano). The freeway was stop and go, and the diamond lanes were moving between 30 and 40 MPH.

I was driving along fine with the flow of traffic when out of nowhere a Yukon starts tailgating me. I wasn't holding up traffic - it was already moving rather slow. I figured the guy was looking at my HOV stickers, but it continued for miles. When the double-yellow line broke, the Yukon swerved out into the regular lanes and passed me (cutting off several people in the process) and cut right back in front of me after the double-yellow had started again. He missed the front of my car only because I slammed on my brakes to avoid a collision.

I don't know if he was pissed because he only gets 12 MPG or if it's the price of gas ($3.29 near the hotel we were staying at this weekend). Maybe it was because I was legally driving solo in the HOV lanes. It could be that he is simply a farging icehole.

Regardless, I'm not sure I want to repeat this type of scenario. I need to re-evaluate driving in the carpool lanes. I hope no one else has had this type of experience.

DGStan

G

·
0 Posts
I suspect that the guy is merely jealous that you are getting 4 x as much mileage as he is. Next time something like that happens, get the person's plate number. No one has ever done that to me because I would not let it happen. I really hate SUVs lately. I get so annoyed when I see one tooling along at 75 with one passenger. What a freaking' waste!!!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Idiots do that anyway, even if you have two in the car. Some think of the HOV lane as the Warp Factor Two Mr. Sulu Lane, and rive accordingly.

Word to the wise... I have heard that the CHP is paying a little more attention to HOV violations, including speeding, tailgaiting, yellow-lane crossings, etc., since there are more cars in them now.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark Prius said:
No one has ever done that to me because I would not let it happen.
How do you "not let it happen"? Would you tailgate the car in front of you so there is physically no way another car can cut in (this guy was cutting in - space or not)? Do you carry a gun?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had this happen when driving a non-Prius with a passenger in the HOV lane, too. Still, it pays to be on your guard.

Jan

·
Registered
68 Posts
i suggest getting his liscense plate number, going to public data.com and finding out where he lives.

where you dispose of his body is up to you, though...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Meh.. SUV drivers use the HOV lane to by pass everyone. I don't know if them doing 100km/h on that lane is any better than in the regular lane in terms of fuel mileage hahahaha. I've had people tailgate me before in the HOV lane. It was a guy in a bright red, brand new Grand Cherokee. He also cut me off very very close to the front edge of the car. Ass. I've also seen someone in a Cayenne Turbo S that used the HOV lane as a mean of overtaking people.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Bullies, whether in person or behind the wheel, usually back off when actually challenged. If I'm being tailgated, I give 'em the brake. Hard. See how good their reflexes are. And if they tap you, let 'em try to prove it's not their fault.

To make up for my phony machismo, I'll quote one of the chickiest of all chick flicks "Fried Green Tomatos": "Face it, girls - I'm older, and I've got more insurance."

Of course, I wouldn't actually do this at highway speed, especially with my wife and fetus (they travel together), in the car.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I carry a small camera. It's amazing how fast their "bravery" disappears when they believe you have evidence that will prove them wrong in court. Hasn't failed yet!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Concern over extremes

Mark Prius said:
I suspect that the guy is merely jealous that you are getting 4 x as much mileage as he is. Next time something like that happens, get the person's plate number. No one has ever done that to me because I would not let it happen. I really hate SUVs lately. I get so annoyed when I see one tooling along at 75 with one passenger. What a freaking' waste!!!
I have had many experiences on the freeways of LA with drivers that are so focused on getting somewhere quickly that they are willing to put themselves and others in great danger. I don't think it matters what car you drive, some drivers have no respect. It will be interesting to see if driving solo in the HOV lane increases the frequency of these experiences. It concerns me that people would judge a driver by the car they drive. This is a very dangerous prejudice IMHO.

I have the same concern when I read how SUV drivers are judged on this forum. I am proud to have my Prius and all that means for me personally and what little contribution my driving it makes to society. I am also the proud owner of a Suburban which is one of the best vehicles I have owned. We have three kids and a dog. We travel with a trailer on vacations. My wife and I are leaders of Girl Scout Troops (three), Church Youth groups, Soccer, Dance, and School Sports and Music groups. We have an after market 4th row seat which is in the vehicle and used often (allowing seating for 11 total). We cannot afford to own a 3rd vehicle so the suburban would be used only when full. So, my wife drives it to work and the market since she has the shortest commute. I shutter at the thought that she is hated because of this.

I'm afraid of the extremes on both ends of this conversation. I have friends who I know drive large SUV's with no more than one or two people in the vehicle 90% of the time. I also know many others that have a genuine need for a large SUV like we do. I hope I would be judged not by what I drive but by how I drive and the consideration I have for others. Until you know me it is not fair to judge me.

Sorry, but I needed to share another point of view.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Concern over extremes

I agree with you whole-heartedly. People drive what they can afford or need. It's really harsh when you generalize and say that all ___ are bad.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Last year I saw a car with an odd module on the roof - perhaps the size of a fist - on a short mast. It had some bright white flashing lights (I guess other colors are forbidden) to attract attention. All over the car were stickers saying "YOU'RE ON CAMERA".

I went out of my way to follow it, and perhaps I was kidding myself, but it appeared that people drove differently in its vicinity.

It gave rise to the idea that all cars might be fitted with tamper-proof units that record simple PLUS and MINUS inputs made by other drivers, keyed to license plate numbers. The car's unit would receive the comments and store them. Each year, the unit would output an encrypted code that the driver would take to the motor vehicle department. The cumulative "score" would influence fees, and those with egregious records would suffer (retraining, suspension, etc.).

It might be practical to require the insertion of a valid driver license into a reader to make the system driver-specific and ensure authorized use.

The technology is trivial. And, with today's ECUs, security would be quite good.

Aaaah, Utopia!

Henry

·
Registered
610 Posts
:!: SUGGESTION... PULEEEZE, Prius drivers. Put your LOCATION in your posts. Frequently, location would allow responders to provide more applicable and accurate information. In addition, your posts would often make more sense if we know WHERE you are.

OT: Sure is *FUN* to drive a Prius. More and more, we're seeing Prii on Dallas area streets. Last meeting of the Dallas Area Prius Meetup Group we had 13 Prii + 1 Highlander hybrid and 26 folks. Just yesterday morn, I was followed by a Silver Prius driven by a classical "Grandmotherly" white-haired lady... had to smile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts