Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting a low rumbling noise over 30 mph
When I come off the accelerator at speed it sounds a bit like a racing car reving down it’s not an exhaust problem any ideas

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 Prius, and started experiencing something similar at 183K. Kinda humming rumble sound, speed dependent (speed gets faster, hum goes up in frequency but not volume).

Drove with it awhile trying to locate it. Could tell it was coming from the front but that was all. I even had all the tires checked to see if it was them.

Turned out the left front wheel bearing went bad. Had to have it replaced and a 4-wheel alignment done. Cost as I recall was about $700.00.

·
Registered
2 Posts
of the 5 Gen II Prii that I have either owned or maintained for others, all have required their front wheel bearings to be replaced. The average odometer mileage at time of replacement was about 120k.

One of the 5 has had its front bearings replaced twice.

On three of them the time between first noticing the low front end rumble and the noise becoming a louder menace apparent to all was under 5k miles.

On one the low rumble persisted for more than 10k miles and never did turn into a loud grinding sound. I replaced the bearing anyway.

Jim Olson
Indianapolis, IN US

1 - 3 of 3 Posts