Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ripping down through PA on I-81 last week I suddenly came upon a hunk of something on the highway. Couldn't swerve to the left, too late to slow down (couldn't see it in time anyway 'cause a big, bad ol' SUV ahead of me had cleared the item nicely.) Anyway, I straddled it and kerplank/Whamo! that sucker didn't quite clear the bottom of my 04 Prius, the love of my life. Everything seemed fine so I kept on going. First chance I got, tho, I crawled around on the ground underneath and couldn't see anything untoward EXCEPT for a dent in my gas tank. 700 miles later it's still doing fine. Interesting thing, now, though. I go about 240 miles before the guage starts to show usage (before it was about 120 or more miles) and when it gets down to the last three squares, I know it's time to look for a gas station, because they disappear fast. Well, maybe ten miles instead of perhaps 30 or so miles per square. Anybody had a tank replaced yet? Incidentally, I was getting close to 52 mpg doing 70-72 mph with air blasting away. And that's mountainous country.

Fran
"My Prius sips. Your SUV sucks!"

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Sounds like the sender is out of whack, perhaps due to the "new geometry" of your tank. Might be worth an insurance claim, since it is an expensive job, and you don't want any weakened metal in the tank, either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts