Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine said he was able to disconnect the beeping noise when the car goes into reverse. Has anybody else been able to do this? and how?

He said he did it himself. I have a 2006 Package 8.
Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
You know, that beep really bugged me when I first got the car. But after a year, I got used to it, and occasionally, appreciated it.

Sometimes, I sing along with the beeping. Try Verdi's Anvil Chorus, it's fun. :D

·
Registered
992 Posts
I must admit it is annoying, but sometimes I gear shift too fast and it doesn't take (I did'nt pay much attention or check the screen often when I first started driving.. new driver, but I learned that lesson fast) and would of almost hit a car a few times had it not been beeping to tell me I was in reverse and not in drive..

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I, on occasion find myself doing that too.

It would have been nicer if the beeps were in the rear on the outside. We'd probably hear it but not be annoying, and those in the path of our travels would hear it too.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I guess. But I didn't "need" the hybrid drive, the cd player, auto dimming mirror, power windows, digital display, rear defog, rear wiper, power locks, or bluetooth. Or the airbags, for that matter. My grandpa's 1962 Fairlane didn't "need" seatbelts, either. My dad had a 1928 Model A that didn't "need" power windshield wipers. But all of those things are kinda nice to have. Some are, granted, more useful than others. But why not? If it's there, and we like it, good for us! If we don't like it and can undo it, good for us some more. :)

Anyone else ever twiddle the 'brightness' knob on the TV, and end up disappointed that the programs were still dumb? Every now and then, I suspect someone has misadjusted the contrast in here, too. But I wouldn't trade most of us. :*

·
Registered
992 Posts
hyperion said:
You have to ask yourself if you have needed the warning in any previous car you have driven for the past twenty years?
Or a rear view camera for that matter!
Hahah.. when my sister was in high school, my parents had her driving their pick up truck. My dad had picked up one of those things that makes noise in the Philippines, so that when you put the car in reverse it would make noise.. it was so annoying, and sooo embarassing for my sister when she would try to get out of her parking spot at school. I'm sure she never came close to running anyone over a least, unless they were of course, rolling around on the floor laughing ;)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Phish Phood said:
Hahah.. when my sister was in high school, my parents had her driving their pick up truck. My dad had picked up one of those things that makes noise in the Philippines, so that when you put the car in reverse it would make noise..
Wow, that would be embarassing. Every time she tried to back up, it made noise in the Philippines? Hope she never met anyone from there... ;) :lol:

(sorry, guys... had to do it)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Sanny said:
Phish Phood said:
Hahah.. when my sister was in high school, my parents had her driving their pick up truck. My dad had picked up one of those things that makes noise in the Philippines, so that when you put the car in reverse it would make noise..
Wow, that would be embarassing. Every time she tried to back up, it made noise in the Philippines? Hope she never met anyone from there... ;) :lol:

(sorry, guys... had to do it)
Hey :p I finished school in December. I'm allowed to have poorly structured sentences until I go back in January. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it ;)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
The shifter is different than what I 'grew up' with. Once in a while I do get mixed up. Other times I am too quick with the shifter, and it didn't take.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had my first service yesterday and asked that the backup beeper be turned off (Aussie 06 Prius).
When I went to pick up the car I was told the most amazing story as to why they caould not turn off the beeper.
First try - disconnecting the wire to the beeper would affect other functions requiring a beeper. I said that the US model can stop the beep via the MFD. No need to cut wires.
Second try - Australian regulations may require the beeper to be turned on. I explained that no other Toyota has a reverse beep that can't be heard outside the car.
Third try - We do not know how to turn off the beeper.

Does that inspire confidence in those responsible for servicing my vehicle? I think not.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well, the good news is that you can't dissable the beep in the Ausie Prius. So they don't know how to do something that can't be done anyways! Feel good they didn't get it turned off. If they had, I'd be affraid of what else wasn't working!! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was hoping that Toyota knew of a way to defeat the beep. If they had managed to do it I was going to find out what they did and spread the word.
As a result of my conversation with the service manager, I doubt that the Toyota techs in my neck of the woods know very much about the Prius.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts