Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
kenhdc said:
I'm trying to cancel the reverse beep and need some advice. thanks
What have you tried, what problems are you encountering.

Have you followed these steps exactly?

1. Power on (not necessarily ready, IG-ON will do).
2. Set Trip/ODO to ODO
3. Power off.
4. Power on to ready (brake on).
5. Within 6 seconds, press and hold ODO for 10 seconds or more.
6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* 10 seconds, Shift from P to R, then back to P. Now release ODO.
7. You'll see in the trip display "b on" or "b off".
8. Press ODO to toggle.
9. Now power off.

The Repair manual page says, however, that if you disconnect the 12v battery, you may lose this change. Repair manual also isn't clear that you should be holding down ODO while shifting (or operating seatbelt if you wish to cancel seatbelt buzzers, driver or passenger, using similar steps replacing shifting w/ fastening seatbelts).

FYI: the beep heard when the car is in reverse is only heard inside the car, not outside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didn't work

thanks for your quick response. I tried this, however, it isn't working. I can't get the ODO to show "B" after taking my finger off. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still need help

Does power on to ready mean as if I was going to drive the car? Also I have smart entry- is this a problem for this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you actually do steps 1-3? I couldn't get it to work either until I actually ran it through the odometer cycle once to bring it back to ODO mode (rather than simply starting from step 4 as I had previously done because I assumed I didn't need to do steps 1-3 since I always leave the odometer in ODO mode), then on to step 4.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Re: still need help

kenhdc said:
Does power on to ready mean as if I was going to drive the car? Also I have smart entry- is this a problem for this?
Yes, that means in READY mode. SE/S is not an issue at all. There are several key little things, you have to follow the steps EXACTLY--holding the ODO for the allotted time and not releasing it, etc.

I just had to re-do this on my car after the SSC-40a thing and it works, but I screwed up the first time through by releasing the ODO button before shifting to R then putting the car back in Park. You have to have your arms crossed or use your left hand to shift to pull off that step.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS evan

Evan: As usual your advice is excellent it worked. Problem was I was waiting more then the 6 seconds to push the ODO. My wife figured it out! You notice I mention her often in helping me out. She was the one who found it in Virginia. What kind of MD are you, I'm a Chiropractor. Ken

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Re: THANKS evan

kenhdc said:
Evan: As usual your advice is excellent it worked. Problem was I was waiting more then the 6 seconds to push the ODO. My wife figured it out! You notice I mention her often in helping me out. She was the one who found it in Virginia. What kind of MD are you, I'm a Chiropractor. Ken
Glad you got it to work. I'm a board certified Emergency Physician.

·
Registered
15 Posts
reverse beep cancel frustration

We just picked up our driftwood #9 (love the car!) last week and have tried this procedure on several occaisons - having no luck getting it to work...
Are there any other particulars to mention in the process? Do you keep the brake depressed or not?
We can't figure out what's going wrong - are being careful with the timing etc (even have a stopwatch in the car to be sure) and have had no luck.
Any extra pointers would be appreciated :roll:
Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had some difficulty getting this to work. My mistake was not pressing the park button after shifting the car out of reverse. Once I did this it worked perfectly, just make sure you then let go of the odometer button and use it to toggle the beep off. Good luck.
Garrett

·
Registered
2 Posts
reverse beep cancel frustration

After encountering some of the same frustrations as those indicated in earlier posting on this topic, my spouse and I finally figured out what was unclear to us in the earlier posted instructions and hints.

I now offer a more detailed and explicit version of the earlier instructions and hints, in the hope that folks that are as dense as I am will avoid frustration. Long live the reverse beep - the beep is now dead!!

Revised instructions:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How to turn off the reverse beeper on the 2004 Prius. Mar 21, 2004

1. Power on (not necessarily ready, IG-ON will do).
2. Set Trip/ODO to ODO
3. Power off.

Regarding the above steps, even if Trip/ODO is already set to ODO, toggle through ODO/TripA/TripB and then back to ODO.

4. Power on to ready (brake on).

5. Within 6 seconds, press and hold ODO for 10 seconds or more. Note, the car will be in Park (without you having to put it into Park). Do NOT stop pressing the ODO button til indicated in step 9 below.

6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the above 10 seconds(or more), move the ShiftLever to R, which will cause the beeper to start. It's good to keep your foot on the brake through this step and the steps below.

7. Then (still pressing ODO) move the ShiftLever from R to D.

8. Then (still pressing ODO) press the P(Park) button.

9. Now release the ODO button.

10. You'll see in the trip display "b on" (changes from "ODO" to "b on").

11. Press ODO, which will change "b on" to "b off".

12. Now power off.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It took me several tries. I have no idea what I did wrong the first 2 or 3 times. I used the instructions as posted in john1701a's "Prius User Guide."

Now I get just a single beep when I shift into R, which is nice, in case I do it by accident when intending to shift into D.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone have a theory why it appears to be so involved to turn off the reverse beep? I especially enjoyed the "you have to have you arms crossed or use your left hand." It reminds me of rubbing your head and patting your belly... (or was that patting your head and rubbing your belly).
The whole GPS/screen is an overcomplicated counter-intuitive bit of tech in my opinion. But thanks for the directions.. I will give it a try (though my paranoia from having been raised by a pratical joker wonders if you are kidding.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If we were practical jokers, the instructions wold have included at least one lap around the car screaming :lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got rid of the reverse beep a while ago, but I don't get a single beep when I shift into reverse like Daniel does. Maybe I do need to run around the car screaming.

·
Registered
623 Posts
DAVID said:
I got rid of the reverse beep a while ago, but I don't get a single beep when I shift into reverse like Daniel does. Maybe I do need to run around the car screaming.
I was mistaken. Sorry. I get a single beep when I power on the car and it goes into ready mode. But since the beep comes a moment after the Ready light comes on, it coincided with putting the car in Reverse to back out of the garage, and I thought it was beeping for reverse instead of for Ready.

If I put it in reverse at other times, I do not get the single beep. I wish I did. It would be a good idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going to give a scream anyway when I finally work up the nerve to stop the beep... it can't hurt, right? Either that or I'll swing a chicken over my head three times. I have had my car less than a week, so I may need a few more days, but thanks to everyone who posts on this site with all the great information and support (and good humor).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going to give a scream anyway when I finally work up the nerve to stop the beep... it can't hurt, right? Either that or I'll swing a chicken over my head three times. I have had my car less than a week, so I may need a few more days, but thanks to everyone who posts on this site with all the great information and support (and good humor).

·
Registered
18 Posts
laurie said:
No, it won't hurt to disable the beep. I waited a couple of weeks until I was comfortable with the rest of the car and then I got rid of it. You can always follow the same procedure to turn it back on if you decide later that you want it on.

The one thing I have to say about turning it off is that you don't realize how distracting it really was until you don't have to listen to it anymore. I now enjoy the blissful silence of backing the car out of my driveway every morning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The dealership should turn it off for you. I requested the dealership to do it and they told be it was a safety feature and could do. What a bunch of crap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts