Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the board and would like to know, if I don't originally have the Homelink/Auto Dimming mirror can I retro fit it afterwards. Are there connectors tucked away ready for a mirror? Thanks for your help in advance. 8)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hello, I am new to the board and would like to know, if I don't originally have the Homelink/Auto Dimming mirror can I retro fit it afterwards. Are there connectors tucked away ready for a mirror? Thanks for your help in advance. 8)
Yes. It is availableas a dealer-installed accessory. I had it done the month after we picked up the car. Programming note: First follow the instructions to completely clear the memory before programming your remote settings. Also, put fresh batteries into your old remote for the strongest signal.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
vfaq.net

installations instructions within.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
You can probably make your installation easier by picking up your ground and constant +12v from the overhead console. Then all you need to string down to the driver side under-dash is the ACC lead. This would cause less potential issues with the airbags.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
DanMan32 said:
You can probably make your installation easier by picking up your ground and constant +12v from the overhead console. Then all you need to string down to the driver side under-dash is the ACC lead. This would cause less potential issues with the airbags.
Dan, I thought I read in another thread on the forum that the wires are already there and it was an easy retrofit. True?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I don't believe so, unless the installation instructions are generic. However, the installation instructions do mention to remove specific Prius trim, and how to route the harness through the Prius.

·
Registered
22 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I don't believe so, unless the installation instructions are generic. However, the installation instructions do mention to remove specific Prius trim, and how to route the harness through the Prius.
Has anyone tried to fit the mirror/door opener to a 2006 Prius?

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Early on the auto dimming mirror was a generally accepted aftermarket accessory for all unequiped Prii. However concerns came up regarding a conflict between the curtain airbag deployment path and the wireing that ran close to the airbags on its way down the A pillar to the dash and is power source. I want to say that the official line to Toyota dealers is that the auto dimming mirror is only available for aftermarket installation on Prii that do not have curtain airbags. If they have curtain airbags Toyota frowns on having somebody install it.

Instillation of the auto dimming mirror at the factory is not an issue because all the wireing necessary for it is installed at a time when it is easy to place the wireing out of the path of airbags. Installing the mirror aftermarket is risky because lots of paneling and trim has to be removed to place the wireing and the trim that has to be removed is often times related to the exit points of the curtain airbag system. If the paneling is not reinstalled properly or if a wire gets in the way, the curtain airbags might not deploy properly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Dan, I thought I read in another thread on the forum that the wires are already there and it was an easy retrofit. True?
YES, the car is pre-wired. The mirror is listed as a dealer-installed accessory:

http://www.toyota.com/prius/accessories.html

I ordered the mirror and my dealer installed it in just couple of hours.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Early on the auto dimming mirror was a generally accepted aftermarket accessory for all unequiped Prii. However concerns came up regarding a conflict between the curtain airbag deployment path and the wireing that ran close to the airbags on its way down the A pillar to the dash and is power source. I want to say that the official line to Toyota dealers is that the auto dimming mirror is only available for aftermarket installation on Prii that do not have curtain airbags. If they have curtain airbags Toyota frowns on having somebody install it.

Instillation of the auto dimming mirror at the factory is not an issue because all the wireing necessary for it is installed at a time when it is easy to place the wireing out of the path of airbags. Installing the mirror aftermarket is risky because lots of paneling and trim has to be removed to place the wireing and the trim that has to be removed is often times related to the exit points of the curtain airbag system. If the paneling is not reinstalled properly or if a wire gets in the way, the curtain airbags might not deploy properly.
There isn't anything here that limits installation: http://www.toyota.com/prius/accessories.html

I have the side curtain airbags and nothing was said about running wires through their area. I was told the wires were already in place in the header above the windshield. To be on the safe side, you could ask to see the installation instructions before you order the mirror. I have the box with the old mirror in it at home; I'll see if they left the instructions with it.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
From what others have posted, the 3 (or 4) wire harness has to be routed through the header and down the pillar to the junction block. As a matter of fact, the mount for the rear view mirror is different for the stock dimming mirror than from the standard, but the accessory version has a conversion mount.

However, this could have been changed for 2006.

Also, there was a time when some dealers would refuse to install the mirror if you had curtain airbags, as the Toyota list specified that it was unavailable as an accessory if you had them. The issue had been discussed on a few threads, and it was figured that the reason for the exclusion was the potential mishandling of the airbags with the routing of the added harness. I came up with the point that only one wire needs to be routed for the ACC feed, as the 12+ and ground were already at the overhead console for the existing lights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts