Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick update on the situation in So. Cal. if you don't already know.

A number of dealers I spoke to now ask for $100 deposit to get on the wait list, in the form of a check which they said they would not cash. All said they sell at MSRP.

Only one dealer still wanted $500 and said he needed to cash the money. He also sells at MSRP. He said his wait list is now 40 people and about 4 weeks, 10 days ago it was 80 people and 4 months. He sold less than 10 cars since then, the rest just dropped off the list. (Don't forget many people are on multiple wait lists).

May be the new production level and the new allocation are easing the situation somewhat, if everyone is sticking to their gun and would only pay MSRP.

One dealer still wants $3000 over MSRP. Another still has a 2nd list for $3000 over MSRP besides her official list at MSRP, of course she told me, as before, that the wait on the MSRP list is 10 months and urged me to get on her other list which is 2-4 weeks.

Don't give in to price gauging, and support those who honor the MSRP.

·
Registered
186 Posts
hyperion said:
Maybe as some of the negatives to these cars gets out from the present owners the demand will drop and present construction limits will suffice. After all you can find Civic Hybrids on the dealers floors.
that's the problem, there aren't many negatives. gas gauge isn't linear? big deal. I have just been offered 1 from the list I got on. Was told 1 was ready on 2nd list I got on in early October. Now after getting on lists in Feb & April, both places have a 2005 for me.

Tideland pearl with beige or silver with dark gray, decisions, decisions? both MSRP top package, BC.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Negatives (from my personal experience in 7 months) of the 2004 Prius: None. Other than a few minor nit-picks. It would be nice to have a few more indicator gauges. The lack of an EV button was the biggest negative. Costal tech solved that. (I mean, solved it for me, since I bought their kit. I don't think they were the ones who actually discovered the solution. And you can do it a lot cheaper with a bit more work by following DIY instructions available on the web.)

However, as supply improves, the MSRP issue will solve itself. Once enough dealers have Prius on their lots ready to sell, nobody will be able to charge over MSRP any more. As long as there's a shortage there will be individuals willing to pay extra to get one sooner. That's the free market. For some individuals, an extra $3,000 is a deal-breaker. For others, $3,000 is small pocket-change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts