Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost one of my keyfobs the other day (coupled with some other stuff), Somewhat more scary for me is the fact that there might have been papers with my home address (where I park my car sometimes) along with the keyfob. My question is... anyone know how much would reprogramming the car/keys cost me? (I'd buy one smart-start key, which I know hovers above $100, reprogram the spare, and reprogramming the car itself)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Part of the problem is that the car uses rolling codes and can accept up to 4 fobs, each of which can have its own code sequence. You'd have to cancel the sequence specifically for the lost fob.

I seem to remember that if you lose both your fobs so that they have no existing fob to use to program a new one, the procedure requires replacement of a computer, and is hideously expensive. I fear this may be a similar situation.

For a definitive answer, contact your dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting... I'll mention it to my dealer when I go this Saturday... I made an appt to go get something sealed (I forget what)... they sent me a letter saying that they were adding waterproof sealing on something around/in the hood 'cause otherwise rain/carwash water could get in and cause a check engine light/decresed performance.. so I'll kill 2 birds with one stone probably. :)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
You would have to buy a new keyfob (do so before you loose your remaining one! If no fobs left, that's the pricy ECU replacement...), and have a dealer reprogram it for you. (The 2004s require a tech tool for the reprogramming, the classic Prius you could do yourself with a specific "dance")

Pricing on the keyfob and on the programming (labor) costs vary by dealer.

From the 2004 Prius parts database on the Prius-2G yahoogroup:
<quote>
Part Number \/ Description Price Location Contact Notes (dependencies,
conflicts, other) Edit Delete
89071-47180 2004 keyfob WITHOUT Smart Start & Entry $144.17
Conicelli Toyota - PA Tom Rielli - 800-825-7128 ext.2653 Mention you
are a Prius Club Member for this discounted price. List $192.33 Edit
Delete
89904-47061 2004 keyfob WITH Smart Start & Entry $160.50 Conicelli
Toyota - PA Tom Rielli - 800-825-7128 ext.2653 Mention you are a
Prius Club Member for this discounted price. List $214.00 Edit Delete
</quote>

I would recommend that you have the dealer delete all keys (except the one that is used to start the key delete process), and then add any new keys that you have. That way, you don't have to worry about someone finding your old keyfob and using it to steal your car.

BTW: for classic Prius, I suggest: http://www.coastaletech.com/carkeys.htm look through the programming info for an idea of what your dealer can do for your 2004 (although the programming instructions only work on a 2001-2003 Prius)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wow. I was quoted $239 for a new SE/SS keyfob. (Add $50 for programming.)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just as an aside, it is possible to delete lost keys, and reprogram the ECU. The delaer can do it with his black box, and there is also a door keyfob sequence which I had on my site.

@ltirado: PM me and I will email you the info I have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts