Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I have any problems (safety, mechaniocally or otherwise) replacing the OEM 185-65-15 tires with 195-60-15 tires?

I am considering buy Goodyear assurance TripleTread tires which do not come in the 185/65/15 tire size.

A local tire dealer advised he thought the TripleTread a better tire than the HydroEdge - thier tread designs look similar. Any opinions on this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Goodyear ComforTreads are very similar to TripleTreads (both Assurance line). They are about $20 cheaper, slightly less traction, slightly better ride comfort and less noise, and are available in 185/65R15. Many have put both tires on their Prius and love them, also good reports at Tire Rack.com.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Triple treads

I put on a set of Triple Treads at 1200 mi because of the poor grip on slush/icey roads that the OEM's provided. they are vasstly superior for winter driving I found. As to size differential, and milage hit, I can't really compare as I only had 1200 mi experience with them (OEM's) in below 20 deg F weather conditions, new car and rookie Prius driver. Now that NH weather is getting better, so is my milage-- last 4 tanks @ 50-54mpg, 5500 mile on car---I cant complain I think. The new tires made a difference in the twitchy highway driving in windy conditions also, much more stable. I keep pressure at 40/38 lbs. Hope this helps----

·
Registered
4 Posts
Triple treads

I put on a set of Triple Treads at 1200 mi because of the poor grip on slush/icey roads that the OEM's provided. they are vasstly superior for winter driving I found. As to size differential, and milage hit, I can't really compare as I only had 1200 mi experience with them (OEM's) in below 20 deg F weather conditions, new car and rookie Prius driver. Now that NH weather is getting better, so is my milage-- last 4 tanks @ 50-54mpg, 5500 mile on car---I cant complain I think. The new tires made a difference in the twitchy highway driving in windy conditions also, much more stable. I keep pressure at 40/38 lbs. Hope this helps----

1 - 6 of 6 Posts