Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just told by my dealer that I need to replace my rear tires. Currently I am at about 35,000 miles (is this about right?). A friend of mine told me that hybrids use a special low resistence tire and I shouldn't use just any tire if I want to maintain my good gas mileage. Is this correct, or can I get anything that is the right size (such as what they sell at Costco or what not)? Also, what are your recommendations about getting just the two rear tires replaced versus replacing the whole set. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If all four tires have been rotated according to the maintenance procedure, it is a little odd that only the rear tires need to be replaced. There is no safety issue as long as both tires on an axle are the same. That is, the left front and the right front must be the same, and the left rear and the right rear must be the same, but the tires on the two different axles can be different, within reason, of course.

I replaced mine with Goodyear Comfortreds and have been really pleased with all aspects of them. They are the most comfortable tires Goodyear makes, and they are rated for a life of 60,000 miles, which might see you to the end of ownership for your car.

Recommendation: I would ask the dealer to estimate the mileage left in the front tires so you can decide if you want to replace all four at the same time. I live in San Jose, so we might have bought our cars at the same dealership. I bought mine from Capitol Toyota. When I went there to ask for a price quotation on the Goodyear Comfortreds, their Parts Manager had no idea which ones I was talking about, so I went to Skip's Tires on Blossom Hill across from and just west of Oakridge Mall. Including filling the tires with Nitrogen, the whole bill was just over $500.

Jim

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
John has a good discussion about tires on the Prius, both classic and HSD. The classic do need low rolling resistance tire (LRR) for rated economy, and also need extra load (XL) because the car is heavy for the diameter of the tire.

For HSD, standard tires were used: GoodYear Integrities. The size of the tire was raised so the inherent load rating of the tire is higher than it was on the classic. So any tire of the size 185/65R15 will do.

So far my comfortreads are giving me lower mileage, but it is possible other factors are contributing to this. I suddenly got lower mileage last year after the 50P recall. Then it climbed back up.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
hyperion said:
Just to solve my curiousty Jim, so that I'll have some idea when the time comes, did you get a quote as to the cost of replacing your tires with the OEM Goodyear Integtities? (Seems as though quite a few owners feel their cars handling hasn't been "right" since "day one.")
I had Integrities put on at "Just Tires", just across the street from "Skip's Tires". The whole thing cost $412.38

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yesterday, the 18th, I replace my OEM tires with Falken ZE239 in the stock 185/65r15 size. It was one of two that Big O had in stock that met Toyota's sidewall requirements. If I'd gone to 195/60r15, there were a bunch more choices. The tires were $54 each and the total out-the-door cost came to $330.18.

·
Registered
126 Posts
hyperion said:
Just to solve my curiousty Jim, so that I'll have some idea when the time comes, did you get a quote as to the cost of replacing your tires with the OEM Goodyear Integtities? (Seems as though quite a few owners feel their cars handling hasn't been "right" since "day one.")
No, I only got a quotation for Comfortreds, sorry.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Before buying tires at a dealer or tire place, I always suggest people to check out http://www.tirerack.com. I buy all my tires from there and they can ship directly to your residence or even the local installation location of your choice. Usually a place will mount and balance all four tires for around $40 - $60 bucks (around here anyway).

From their website, I just bought 4 Dunlop SP 10 tires for my 2001 prius ($46/ea). Total cost, including shipping from Louisiana via 3-day UPS Ground, was $220. Had them mounted and balanced for $48. The entire deal put me out only about $275 for four new tires plus installation.

Local Toyota Dealership gave me a quote of $420 for the Potenza RE92's, incl. mount/balance. They also said they could not get the Dunlop SP 10's... Which I found interesting. Only one place local said they can order the Dunlop SP 10's, but they quoted me $85/tire! I hung up on them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
romad said:
Yesterday, the 18th, I replace my OEM tires with Falken ZE239 in the stock 185/65r15 size.
I was wondering is this a new tire? I know the Falken ZE 512's are available in that size but I've not heard anything of the ZE 239's. I tried to check on the Internet and am coming up short with no results with that model number...

I like Falken. I've used them on all my Supras and Celicas in the past. Very good low cost performance tire. You made a good choice on this phantom model tire. :)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Tirerack has great prices for the tires themselves, but by the time you add mounting, balance, shipping, etc., you can come close to the price a local dealer (tire or car) could provide. Depending on the tire dealer, you may have better coverage for road hazard than through tirerack. I prefer going to a chain I bought a tire from and not pay a thing, rather than paying for repair/replacement and having to file for reimbursement.

But that's just my opinion. Each person has their own preference.

·
Registered
117 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Tirerack has great prices for the tires themselves, but by the time you add mounting, balance, shipping, etc., you can come close to the price a local dealer (tire or car) could provide. Depending on the tire dealer, you may have better coverage for road hazard than through tirerack. I prefer going to a chain I bought a tire from and not pay a thing, rather than paying for repair/replacement and having to file for reimbursement.

But that's just my opinion. Each person has their own preference.
Tirerack has a section on their site where they list two different classes of local installers - check it out. They usually are much cheaper than just going somewhere. I went to one and actually bought my hydroedges from him and the price including install was actually cheaper than the listed tirerack price. So, check some of them out.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You know the part where the tire guy said the left front tire should be replaced almost immediately? Sigh. :cry:

I ordered tires Thursday (when he said that), and now it's Saturday. Tire's flat. :( I guess I'm on a donut for a couple days. Slow riding to work! Unless, as Hepdeer suggests, I call out flat.

lol :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
romad said:
Yesterday, the 18th, I replace my OEM tires with Falken ZE239 in the stock 185/65r15 size.
I was wondering is this a new tire? I know the Falken ZE 512's are available in that size but I've not heard anything of the ZE 239's. I tried to check on the Internet and am coming up short with no results with that model number...

I like Falken. I've used them on all my Supras and Celicas in the past. Very good low cost performance tire. You made a good choice on this phantom model tire. :)
Oops! Try ZE329

G

·
My Goodyears on my 05 have 40,000 miles on them and two are worn on the outside (Mis-alignment), and need replacing, so I just had Les Schwab Tires here in Longview replace them with their Z800's (Toyo, I think - 100,000 mile warranty).

I have used the Z800 on my other cars for the last 18 years, and have had good luck with them. They are an all-season tire and I have used them in rain, snow, and ice with good results.

I will keep you appraised of the results. So far I have not noticed a hit on the gas mileage (up to now I haven't had a tank below 50mpg since the middle of May).

Jim C.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.