Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one time I had heard that if one of the cells in the HSD battery went bad, it is possible to just replace that one cell? Has anyone heard this? There seems like there is a lot of talk about the cost of replacing a battery, but I could swear Toyota engineered the battery so that individual cells could be removed.

Was I hallucinating when I heard/read this?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Although the design makes doing so possible, I think it's highly unlikely you'll ever see Toyota do this. They're going to replace the entire battery with the thinking that if there's something wrong with one cell they may be something with the others and that putting cells of different age in the same battery could cause problems.

I suspect that when they recondition entire battery packs the ability to replace individual cells is helpful, but not on an individual's car without reconditioning of the entire pack.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Priustek over on the yahoogroups (a Canadian Prius-certified technician) had stated that the Prius training included rebuilding/replacing bad cells in the hybrid battery pack.

However, in the handful of battery replacements so far, it has just been easier for the dealer to replace the whole pack than to attempt a rework...

(Speculation is that the hybrid battery resealant campaign for the possible leaking electrolyte sealed off the ability to individually replace cells in the affected Classic Prius' packs.)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
and I'll note that the subject is a little off, unless you are only asking about the hybrid battery pack as found in the NHW20 (2004-current) Prius, and the hybrid Highlander/RX400h (Kluger/Harrier), and the upcoming GS450h/Camry hybrids. HSD = hybrid synergy drive, which is a fancy marketing term for the THS-II (Toyota Hybrid System II).

What about the hybrid battery packs for the NHW10 and NHW11 Prius, the hybrid Estima, the hybrid Crown sedan? (the NHW11 and the hybrid estima share the same battery packs, but use two different hybrid systems - the Classic Prius the THS, the Estima the THS-C.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
The dealer scan tool allows you take a voltage reading bank-by-bank of six(6) cells, so you can isolate down to 6 cells ( which bank is bad ) without touching the battery. Then you could removed the defective bank and you could isolate then what cell(s) is bad.

The only reason a bank would go bad and all the other banks not, would be a defect in the wiring or of a single cell.

Remember, all cells are in series. If one cell opens, the battery is dead. If one cell shorts, the battery output is somewhat reduced only.

Hope this helps.
calinkus

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.