Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any input on a good replacement tire for the Prius. I have read where Fusion makes a very goo tire.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well most of us in the Prius community stick with the following tyres:

GoodYear Assurance TripleTred
GoodYear Assurance ComforTred
Michelin Harmony
Michelin HydroEdge

·
Registered
31 Posts
Search for my posts on Nokian tires. I am extremely pleased with them Just went through a day of mosoon like rain, and they westuck like glue. Excellent handling in the winding roads and hills of Western Mass on a recent trip/ Make the Prius stick.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just drove through heavy rain on the interstate going 62MPH on my Goodyear Integrity tires. My Prius handled well and kept excellent traction. I have no complaints with stock tires.

·
Registered
319 Posts
MY OEMs were OKish until I needed to stop or turn on wet roads. They're gone now...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
See this thread at PriusChat.com:
http://priuschat.com/32-Tires-for-the-P ... 12141.html

One of the members there searched all 32 OEM size tires there and listed everything from treadwear ratings, to weight, to revs/mi and rank ordered them. It is, at least, a great place to start your research.

His conclusion was that the Comfortreds and HydroEdge are the top choices with the trade offs being quiter ride with comfortreds and better handling with HydroEdge...

·
Registered
31 Posts
One other important point about the Nokians is that they are a low rolling resistance tire. I am averaging 55 mpg per tank. Highest one way trip of approximately 75 miles was 71.1mpg. No, it wasn't down hill.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Sprocket said:
Search for my posts on Nokian tires. I am extremely pleased with them Just went through a day of mosoon like rain, and they westuck like glue. Excellent handling in the winding roads and hills of Western Mass on a recent trip/ Make the Prius stick.
Which Nokian tire?

I've been looking into the Nokian WR A.W.P.2 for both of my Prius. It has the severe service emblem, making it the only 4-season tire on the market that I know of. Looking around online, it gets rave reviews.

Haven't bought them yet, though. Just been getting price quotes. (Nearly every tire dealer I've been to will special order them, so I'm not locked into the dealers listed on the Nokian website.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The model I've been referring to are the NRHi. If you read the literature on the Nokian's sites, you'll find they are a low resistance tire. They do truly handle very well. They are not an all season tire. The WR's are said to be very good, but I do not think they have the properities and materials that make the NRHi the way it is.
I just got my Nokian RSI's for winter. The are a low rolling resistance snow tire. I'll see how well the do with grip and milage in a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Lemme just add that after an initial 51mpg tank after switching to the Michelin HydroEdges I had a steady improvement in MPG until just finishing my 4th tank (about 2000 miles on the tires) at 60.7 MPG.

My lifetime average is up to 52.5 MPG and that 60.7 is on the high side of what I usually got on my usual commute. I'm very very happy with these tires and this kind of mileage.

·
Registered
344 Posts
so the hydroedges are low rolling resistance?

we were considering the michelin energy mxv4 tires because they are LRR and are "green tires"

however, we won't be needing them for snow or ice or anything, as we're going to be in the south for another 3-4 years and will replace the tires again by the time we leave.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
galaxee said:
so the hydroedges are low rolling resistance?

we were considering the michelin energy mxv4 tires because they are LRR and are "green tires"

however, we won't be needing them for snow or ice or anything, as we're going to be in the south for another 3-4 years and will replace the tires again by the time we leave.
No, the HydroEdge are not considered LRR. My point was that despite that, after break in, they're still capable of very good gas mileage with the advantage of fantastic traction and wear.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Michelin HydroEdge Tires

I have about 35,000 miles on HydroEdges. If you decide to purchase these tires, make sure you get the ones that are rated at 44 psi. Rolling resistance is partially a function of tire construction, and partially air pressure. Even though these are not rated as "low rolling resistance" tires, by pumping them up over 40 psi, you can achieve similar results.

When the HydroEdges were new, I started at the factory recommended inflation pressures and was very disappointed at high-30s mpg. I immediately pumped them up to 44/42 and have been happy with them ever since. These tires have even surpassed the fuel economy of the OEM Bridgestones that I ran at 50/48, and the handling and wet performance is vastly superior. Also, at 35,000 miles, they only show moderate wear; and I hope to achieve the 80,000 miles that they are wear rated for (much longer than the sub-20k mileage of the OEM tires).

G

·
I have the Nokian WR tires. I run them year round and they have the severe service emblem from Canada. They are absolutely fantastic! Quiet riding, decent life (50k miles), hold air well. Driving in the rain you NEVER know it's raining. Driving in snow is FUN!!! OEM Integrity tires SUCK BIG TIME!! I got rid of them after 400 miles back in 11/03.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Michelin Energy MXV4s on another vehicle, and my experience with them in the rain is that they are not good. Forget about them in the snow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts