Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this board. I just bought a used 07 Prius which came with one smart key with a silver Toyota logo on the back. I want to get a backup. I saw one on ebay that looks identical with a silver logo. Should this work and i am wondering if FObs from other years are interchangable.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The fob will have to be one with the silver logo to work with the SKS. Although I'm not positive, I think the SKS fobs for model years 2004 to 2008 are the same. You will have to get the fob programmed to work with the car. Also keep in mind that the small metal key included with the fob won't work in your car door.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know for sure if model years 2004 -2008 smart key system fobs with a silver logo are interchangable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a 2004 Prius...with only one key fob. What is the difference between the fobs with a silver logo and a black logo on the back? The one I have is silver on the back. I "bid" on one with a black back on e bay....does it matter or what? The listing says it will work for a 2004....HELP!

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding is that the one with the silver logo works with the smart key system and the black logo one does not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks....I just posted the same question again. Why wouldnt the black one work? I guess I will be calling Toyota tomorrow....

Thanks again....

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
St Ignace 2004 said:
Thanks....I just posted the same question again. Why wouldnt the black one work? I guess I will be calling Toyota tomorrow....

Thanks again....
The black logo does not have the electronics to work with the SKS system. DON'T buy the black one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone know for sure if model years 2004 -2008 smart key system fobs with a silver logo are interchangable?
For checking parts compatibility I use various spare parts web sites.

My preferred one: http://www.japan-parts.eu/

You can type in the car's VIN and see all the parts and part numbers for that car. Then you can go back to the start of the web site, copy/paste in a part number, and see what other Toyotas use that same part. This is useful for seeing which other Toyotas use the same fuel injectors, etc.

And there's also: https://toyota.7zap.com/en/gr/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts