Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tiny garage did not agree with my antenna sticking out so far from my '05 Prius, and thus ripped the mast right off. The dealership says they can probably fix it for $100 parts and labor, but I dont want to keep running into the same problem. Are there any after-factory antennas that are more felxible or have a lower profile that can be fitted to the newer model Priuses?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I'd start on ebay. There are stubby antennas that screw onto the antenna lead that is at the base of the roof mount. But reception might be seriously hampered. Anytime you mess with the lenght of an antenna without compensating for the loss of length with a larger coil, reception will be hurt, sometimes pretty badly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought a stubby antenna off of eBay and did not notice any reception loss. YMMV :mrgreen:

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) I bought a very short (2") stubby antenna (shipped from Germany) on eBay and have noticed NO LOSS OF RECEPTION in the metropolitan areas. I was concerned about car wash issues with the OEM antenna. I have not yet driven "cross country" so am not aware of reception in remote areas. I keep the OEM antenna in the storage area for replacement should I suffer bad reception in remote areas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stubby ???

Just curious...how did you search ebay. I tried "stubby" antena and didnt' get a hit. Any reference you could provide would be helpful

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: Stubby ???

newfdude said:
Just curious...how did you search ebay. I tried "stubby" antena and didnt' get a hit. Any reference you could provide would be helpful
I just used Prius.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Honda S-2000 Antenna works great, and costs about $25 (or less). I have one.

Inproves the look, and the reception.

Now, to really do that one step better: Get an XM antenna. Of course, you will need the XM reciever, and all..but then you get great looks, and reception.

(can you tell I love the XM?)

·
Registered
393 Posts
trapperjohn said:
Do you get better reception with this antenna than with the stock prius antenna?
Thanks!

TJandGENESIS said:
Honda S-2000 Antenna works great, and costs about $25 (or less). I have one.
Yes, yes I do.

(Wilma sucks, BTW; first time on line in ages...)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the 2.4 inch antenna and it looks great. Unfortunately the reception is lousy! If you want to see how the reception will be, unscrew your original antenna and then try the radio. That's what you'll get with the short stubby antennas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts