Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week, fate finally caught up with the accelerator pedal on my 2001 Prius (81K miles). It started lighting the Hybrid Warning lights and throwing P1120 codes (which I read with the Mini-Scanner that Graham makes). It would lose power until I either stopped and restarted it, or fiddled with the pedal enough to make it willing to go again. This was a common problem with early Prius, but I seem to have delayed it because I use the cruise control for the majority of my commute, so my accelerator pedal doesn't get much use.

Anyway, per TSB EG01-02, I needed to replace the accelerator pedal assembly. I ordered part 78010-47030 yesterday and received it today for $325.42 plus $19.53 tax. Replacement consisted of removing two bolts, disconnecting a wiring connector, replacing the part, reattaching the bolts and reattaching the wiring connector. It took 20 minutes, 10 of which I spent hunting my 10 mm socket which had buried itself inside my spark plug socket. Fortunately, my son was able to find it for me or it could have taken quite a bit longer :oops: The top bolt is a bit hard to reach due to proximity of other parts, but I managed ok.

Note that the TSB applies to VINs prior to JT2BK18U*20055918. It's only covered under warranty up to 36 months, 36K miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
similar situation, but not stopped

Thanks for this post.

My girlfriends 2001 at 78K miles has a similar problem, the display kicked up an error that looked like " Main battery error.".

She of course ran to the dealership who said you need a $600 accelerator pedal. The car did not stop, it seems fine, and the error cleared on the way to the shop.

They said that the pedal is redundant, implying that the car seems fine because only one half of the logic is damaged. It could last 5 minutes or five years...
The part you mention has gone up $100, and is not even stocked in the US.

I think we'll wait a bit..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Accelerator pedal

Just got mine repaired for free at the dealer. Russ Toyota of Beaverton, near Portland OR. I bought the 2001 used and this was my first trip to the dealer, so maybe they were just trying to make me a regular. The diagnosis was a faulty computer, but the tag said the pedal had been replaced.

-Mark

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 018-02.pdf
Sept. 12, 2003, Master, Hybrid & M.I.L. "ON" P1120, 2001-2002 Prius. (symptom: low engine power output (similar to big hand syndrome). fix: replace accelerator pedal assembly.)
2001-2002 Prius produced before VIN JT2BK18U*20055918 (last 5 digits are the numbers you should look at)
repair is only covered under warranty for the first 36 months or 36,000 miles, or if you have an extended warranty...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts