Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Smart entry query

How many smart entry units come with the vehicle. This is supposed to be my wife's new car but I want to drive it too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe the Prius comes with two fob's. My question is, how do you replace it if lost. Is there a secure serial number that must be kept or what. Just curious

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
petej88 said:
I believe the Prius comes with two fob's. My question is, how do you replace it if lost. Is there a secure serial number that must be kept or what. Just curious
don't loose both fobs!

if it's anything like the classic Prius,
you need one master key/fob in order
to train the security ECU into accepting
another new key/fob. Loose all the
masters, you need to replace the
computer!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two fobs, and a master code on a metal tag.
The computer replacement issue exists on other Toyota/Lexus models also.
I cant think of a way to have a truly secure immobilizer system otherwise.

·
Registered
217 Posts
D U I said:
Tomorrow will be one week of putting my hand in my pocket, feeling for my key, and realizing I don't need it! Many cars will no doubt have this soon, but it sure is strange...

http://toyota.broadbandgw.co.jp/prius/index.html
Hello all! This is my first post to this group. Received my 2004 Prius 10/24. A word of caution. The thought came to me today when I was driving my classic Prius that I may very well leave my keys in it now that I am getting used to keyless driving.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Leaving the FOB in the car is a risk, and then someone could, indeed, just get in and drive away IF 1)They knew you had SS/E, 2)They knew how to start a Prius, and 3)Knew the car was unlocked with the FOB in it.

Anyway, I think the risk of doing that is pretty small assuming you establish good habits--1)always keep the key in your pocket, don't throw it in the passenger seat. 2)Always lock the car when you get out--it beeps once when you do that, it beeps 3 times if you have a FOB still in the car so you'll know immediately what you did, 3)Don't let your wife/sign. other get in the habit of leaving their purse/wallet with the FOB in the vehicle.

Like a lot of things with the Prius one must establish new habits/routines and unlearn things we've become so accustom to with traditional vehicles, this is just another one of those.

FWIW, I've left a FOB in the car twice. Once was within minutes of taking delivery...I was late for work and had taken one FOB with me, the other was still with all the other 'stuff' from delivery (the owners manual and stuff). I jumped out, pushed the button, heard 3 beeps and assumed that the doors locked. Only to discover my mistake when I got off work at 2am! The second time was a couple weeks ago, key on seat when I got my XM installed. Tried to lock door, heard the 3 beeps, knew what was up and took corrective action. Now I just leave the FOB in my jacket at all times. Or my pocket if I'm not taking my jacket.
--evan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm finding myself glancing back over my shoulder at the security icon, the yellow "non-secured" icon appears, along with the 3 beeps, to let you know either a door's ajar, or the power hasn't been switched off, or the key's in your jacket on the back seat.
I think I need an ankle holster for the fob!

·
Registered
17 Posts
While my 2004 Prius came with the serial # tag for the two smart entry key fobs, I was told by a sales guy at my dealership (Darcars Toyota, Frederick, MD) that the serial # isn't really that important. Toyota can replace a fob from the VIN #.

Does this jive with what anyone else has heard?

Still getting used to the car, particularly the smart entry (three days and counting).

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
blubrid said:
While my 2004 Prius came with the serial # tag for the two smart entry key fobs, I was told by a sales guy at my dealership (Darcars Toyota, Frederick, MD) that the serial # isn't really that important. Toyota can replace a fob from the VIN #.

Does this jive with what anyone else has heard?

Still getting used to the car, particularly the smart entry (three days and counting).
Assuming that the engine immmobilizer
security computer on the 2004 is
similar to that on the classic Prius,
yes, you might be able to get a new
key based on the VIN, and also buy
a new fob, but unless you've got an
already programmed/working key, you
won't be able to program/drive off
with the car with the fresh key from
the parts department without doing some
programming of the new key...

(in the classic Prius, you can have