Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Once battery SOC depletes to 0 bars, car powers off. Car can still be restarted as long as the battery isn't dangerously low (remember, 0 bars is really 40%).

A few have experienced similar environment pushing it to the gas station when they ran out of gas. I haven't personally experienced the car powering off, though I wonder if the car wash did, which would explain why they couldn't get it in gear to get it off the washer line.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sub3marathonman, I still think the engine would come on under certian conditions. However, If your in a situation where its warm out, battery is charged, ac is off... ect. I dont see how it would be any different than how many people pull into the gas station with a normal car, turn it off then back to on or accesory position but not start the engine so a passager can still use the fans and listen the radio. That seems to me like it would be the same thing.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Oh, I get where you two are going: refueling in a state where the ICE won't start, but will allow AC.

In N, ICE will NOT start. It can't start since it uses MG1 to turn the engine over, and the point of N is to disengage both motors so that the car can free-wheel. AC can still operate, but if it is hot enough to need AC, your battery will deplete quickly. When you deplete to the point of the car powering off, you could get a small spark out of the sytem main relays. I don't know if those relays are hermetically sealed or not. The likelyhood of the high voltage causing a spark that would cause a danger during refueling is probably extremely remote, but really so is refueling with engine running.

·
Registered
17 Posts
DanMan32 said:
AC can still operate, but if it is hot enough to need AC, your battery will deplete quickly.
How quickly? Out of force of habit, if I'm stationary for a long perod of time (say, at a level railroad crossing with a long train), I'll put the car in neutral and take my foot off the brake, then just drop it into neutral (without having to put my foot on the brake) to get going again.

If it's in neutral (meaning the engine won't start to recharge a battery depleted by running the A/C), and I sit there in 'N' long enough with the A/C on, I guess I'm taking a chance on draining the battery and the engine not engaging when I drop into 'D'?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
This is a Prius guys, the ICE automatically shuts down at traffic stops, and starts only when necessary to keep the battery charged. Theres absolutely no reason to keep the car in Neutral under normal circumstances.

A car wash needs to have the car in neutral in order to allow the car to be pushed along a track. When having the car towed, it needs to be in neutral (though it is better for everyone to keep the front wheels off the ground). Other than that, really no reason, and plenty of risk.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasent so much concered with AC. I was just courious as to if it can be done. Not only that but then when you power it back up the enigne comes on... that would elemate that as well and allow you to drive off in stealth. Driving off in stealth or using ac both did not concern me, i was just couious if the situation was right as in battery charged, ac off, enigne warmed...ect. would it really need powered off? No reason other than curiosity.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Check your state fire safety regulations (which are usually posted at or near the fuel pump). Many states require that you turn off your car while refueling - prevents a heat/spark source from igniting a gas leak, and it also shuts off the fuel pump (in case of fire in the tank).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I find it very easy to push that power button. You don't even have to turn your wrist like in an old fashioned car.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
hyperion said:
It's probably wiser to think of the Prius as a "normal" car. I'm sure that is what Toyota believes it to be.
Rather what they want it to become?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know if the ICE goes throught the normal warmup stages again if you power off the car to refuel as opposed to leaving it on? Obviously the engine and cats are already warmed up, but does the computer go through the sequence anyway?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well, I'm really bad, then.. I just turn all accessories off, and put the car in 'P'. (Unless it's so cold out that I think it might turn the ICE on to heat up components, then I turn the car all the way off.)

Mostly I do this because I fill up at a station about three-quarters of a mile from my house, that I can then drive the rest of the way home on pure electric. I like getting home and seeing the MPG reading say '0', because after the MFD's reading resets, it can't calculate a new MPG because you haven't used ANY gas yet. (divide by zero error.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.