Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Just ask for just the rubber inserts from the dealer. They last longer than the aftermarket ones (in my experience), and you know they will fit. They use the existing pair of metal strips that ride in the groove in the rubber, so be careful taking them apart. For the rear wiper, you'll have to pull off the cap at the pivot point so you can raise the arm all the way.

Then clean the glass really well, let it get absolutely dry, then use Rain-X.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
My car doesn't have a rear wiper (I bought it Feb 2002). I already have the inserts from Auto Zone. They supposedly fit, but it's not working out. The brand is Anco. Do you know any tricks for getting these things on?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wiper Blade Refills

Get the replacements at the dealer. They cost a couple of dollars more, but they are made for the blades on the car. Also, they work and last better than some of the cheaper aftermarket replacements (though Anco makes good blades).

I bought some from the parts department and had them in the car when I took it in for routine maintenance, and the service department installed them for me, free. Not sure they always do this, but it was a nice goodwill gesture.

·
Registered
515 Posts
By this May I expect to deliver an illustrated document showing & describing how to replace the blades.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for the snow to melt and the temperature to warm up. Sorry, but I simply have no desire to do that in the freezing cold right now.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Aftermarket inserts are often made to fit their own arms. Even the "OEM fit" varieties often differ. For example, instead of the twin steel strips you have to sandwich together over the insert, they include a one-piece unit with hard plastic molded in. If you throw away the now-unneeded steel strips, you can no longer get replacement inserts from the dealer onto the blade arm. I also found the dealer inserts last longer, even though they cost more, sometimes twice as much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts