Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? Has any one had the red triangle appear on the screen?

A friend in a brand new '04 on vacation in Florida had his Prius stop dead after having a red triangle and the message "See Toyota dealer immediately" appear on the screen. He figured it was a computer problem so treated it like a computer, pulled over, stopped the car, turned it off and then back on again. Same message appeared and the car stalled. He had to have his car towed to a dealer who lent him another Prius. While driving that second Prius he had the same red triangle appear. This time he was able to get that car back to the dealer before it stalled. It has the dealer stumped so far. Suggestions any one?

·
Registered
397 Posts
captnslur said:
:? Has any one had the red triangle appear on the screen?

A friend in a brand new '04 on vacation in Florida had his Prius stop dead after having a red triangle and the message "See Toyota dealer immediately" appear on the screen. He figured it was a computer problem so treated it like a computer, pulled over, stopped the car, turned it off and then back on again. Same message appeared and the car stalled. He had to have his car towed to a dealer who lent him another Prius. While driving that second Prius he had the same red triangle appear. This time he was able to get that car back to the dealer before it stalled. It has the dealer stumped so far. Suggestions any one?
Hmmm, there have been a few people talking about this of late, but usually under frigid conditions--not Floridian weather. Unfortunately it's not difficult to stump a dealer. Seems extremely odd that your friend would have this occur in two separate vehicles. This is intriguing. Please let us all know what turns up.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
The red triangle with the exclamation point on the dashboard
says to see the LCD screen for more
info.

(On the classic Prius, there is also a
red triangle underneadh the LCD screen,
which is the emergency/hazard lights
button... don't get them confused.)

Perhaps your friend is shifting
out of gear before the car is in
the READY state?

A sure-fire way to get the red
triangle with the exclamation point
in the classic Prius is to leave the
car in Drive or Neutral, set the
parking/emergency brake, and open
the driver's door (with the car on).
It's a reminder beep to tell you that
to park you should put the car into
the Parking gear...

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife experienced these identical problems but I did not. We realized she was taking her foot off the break before the ready sign came on. (Also, I think she was shifting into drive too soon). I hope this helps.
>>

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife experienced these identical problems but I did not. We realized she was taking her foot off the break before the ready sign came on. (Also, I think she was shifting into drive too soon). I hope this helps.
>>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For more information about this glitch check the 04 Prius Recall memo in the general section. It seems that this is the problem that my Florida friend experienced. The question then becomes...why didn't that dealer have this recall notice and act on it as a reprogram and not a replacement? :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts