Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a bit paranoid about keeping my tire pressure maximized. Does anyone have any recommendations about which tire pressure guage is the best one to buy?

·
Registered
110 Posts
im paranoid about pressures also. i use an air gauge with a round easy to read face. it also remembers the last reading. i got it from auto zone for about 12 bucks. it also has a short stem which makes it easy to press into the stem.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I use a digital one that (I believe) only reports in half-PSI increments. I am not racing cars or performing neurosurgery with it, so this is satisfactory to me for now.

I too, may have purchased mine at Auto Zone, but I don't remember for sure, nor do I remember how much it was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
About a week ago I also was looking to buy a tire pressure gauge.
After a brief search I end up buying one from Radio Shack for $15:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=63-1114

The other model I considered was Accutire from Sears:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=02823001000

The primary reason I chose the one from Radio Shack is because it has backlit display,
though I believe that you can find other Accutire models that also have backlit display.
Note that this is the first tire pressure gauge I've used, so I cannot compare it against other
models, but so far I am happy with it. Note that the accuracy of those two models (and other
similar models in same price range) is approx. 0.5psi +- 1%, but this should be sufficient for
our purpose.

FYI, I am glad that I got the tire gauge, because I found that all my 4 tires on my 1 week
old Prius were under-inflated to 30psi. Fortunately, I have Coleman Powermate jumpstart
system with compressor (model PMJ 8161, approx. $60 on sale from PepBoys few months
ago), so this is another tool I'd recommend.

Hope that helps,
PR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts