Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my Prius package 3 in about a week, and I wanted to upgrade the stock speakers without buying a new radio. I'm also going to disconnect the dash speaker.

I don't need a really loud system, just a nice crisp sound quality with an emphasis on the mids and highs. I listen mostly to acoustic and classic rock.

Can you recommend a nice speaker that will work well with the stock radio that will give me the sound I want? Upgrading the radio is an option later, I just want to try better speakers first before I fork out more bucks for a new radio.

Thanks.

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I kinda like my sound system the way it sounds but It does lack a little on the very high notes....I would also suggest a sub woofer but you indicated that the type of music you listen to would not really benifit from extra low end response.
You might try adding a couple of tweeters externaly and mount them near the rear speakers. That should help your high range quite a bit.
You could also change out the existing speakers with units with built in tweeters so there would be no need for an external mount or external mounting of a cross over.
I might also suggest something with a Pizzo type tweeter. They aren't great for high volume but have very nice high end clearity.
If you want to do it your self, check Radio Shack.
If not, I guess you'll have to trust someone at a place that specializes in car stereo.
IMHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Try a subwoofer first.
The stock speakers suck, period. Adding a subwoofer won't change the fact that they suck. Anyone who is used to a good audio system will be extremely disappointed with any of the factory Prius audio systems. Before I swapped out the stock speakers, I stopped listening to music in the car because it was so bad, and I've got the "Premium" JBL system. Now, with two pairs of component speakers, two MTX amps, and a JL Audio subwoofer, the sound is actually quite good, especially when the car is stopped (Prius lets in a lot of road noise at highway speeds).

I really like my Infinity component speakers. Problem is, I prefer the tweeters from the less expensive Reference series, but the mid-woofers from the Kappa series. Can't go wrong with either line though, the models to get are the 6010cs in the Reference line and 60.7cs in the Kappa line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
You'd be supprised at how much sound is in the lows.

I found most of my problem is in the radio station I listen to. I can listen to the same song via CD, and it sounds MUCH better. The station stores the songs they play in their computer system so I am sure it is compressed.

The thing that still gets me, is that everyone thinks so highly of MP3s at a lossy compression, often very lossy, which adds artifacts you can actually hear, with any sound system, yet we complain about speakers and amps.
In other words, it seems to me like we want clearly hear the crappy source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
DanMan32 said:
You'd be supprised at how much sound is in the lows.

I found most of my problem is in the radio station I listen to. I can listen to the same song via CD, and it sounds MUCH better. The station stores the songs they play in their computer system so I am sure it is compressed.

The thing that still gets me, is that everyone thinks so highly of MP3s at a lossy compression, often very lossy, which adds artifacts you can actually hear, with any sound system, yet we complain about speakers and amps.
In other words, it seems to me like we want clearly hear the crappy source.
Have you ever owned, or even listened to a decent audio system??? My home theater cost more than my 2005 Prius, and that's what I'm used to listening to. That's why I found the stock Prius speakers so horrendous and spent the small amount of money (< $1k) to improve it. Not everyone wants to, or is used to listening to cheap, crappy audio systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
priusenvy said:
DanMan32 said:
You'd be supprised at how much sound is in the lows.

I found most of my problem is in the radio station I listen to. I can listen to the same song via CD, and it sounds MUCH better. The station stores the songs they play in their computer system so I am sure it is compressed.

The thing that still gets me, is that everyone thinks so highly of MP3s at a lossy compression, often very lossy, which adds artifacts you can actually hear, with any sound system, yet we complain about speakers and amps.
In other words, it seems to me like we want clearly hear the crappy source.
Have you ever owned, or even listened to a decent audio system??? My home theater cost more than my 2005 Prius, and that's what I'm used to listening to. That's why I found the stock Prius speakers so horrendous and spent the small amount of money (< $1k) to improve it. Not everyone wants to, or is used to listening to cheap, crappy audio systems.
Am curious as to the equipment you are using for your "home theater" system that "costs" more than your Prii for mine cost more than the car as well. My system is not an integral part of the home theater part. One reference type system and one home theater system unfortunately sharing the same room.

I havn't done anything to my "JBL" system in the car for the mere fact it will never compare to my "home" stuff no matter how much I pour money into it and I drive for over three hours in a day! I just never hardly turn it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
HIVOLTAGE said:
Am curious as to the equipment you are using for your "home theater" system that "costs" more than your Prii for mine cost more than the car as well. My system is not an integral part of the home theater part. One reference type system and one home theater system unfortunately sharing the same room.
I have a two channel system as well (in the living room, not the theater room), but it's a much more modest system (~$10k) than the HT. I just don't listen to as much music as I used to. I probably turned it on twice all of last year. My HT setup is the following:

Lexicon MC-12 Processor
Mark Levinson Power Amplifiers (x3)
Bose Acoustimass Speakers (just kidding! - insert vomit sounds here)
Genesis 6.1 Speakers (7 channels)
Sony Qualia 006 70" SXRD projection TV (the 004 projector @ $27k wasn't in the budget last year)
plus various sources (upconverting DVD player, HDTV satellite/OTA receiver, streaming HDTV player, HTPC, etc)

I recently sold most of my old HT system on Audiogon.com and upgraded late last year. I hang out on AVSForum.com

I havn't done anything to my "JBL" system in the car for the mere fact it will never compare to my "home" stuff no matter how much I pour money into it and I drive for over three hours in a day! I just never hardly turn it on.
I know as well as you that the car system will never be in the same solar system as my home system, let alone the same ballpark. Still though, I did want to be able to listen to the stereo in the car, and it was intolerable before the upgrades. At least now I can listen to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Priusenvy:

The old stuff:

Your system may be a little newer than mine,

Main transducers are Apogee Diva post 93 's with a DAX1

Amplification from 2 Krell KSA 250s with all factory upgrades

The newer stuff:

Main source is a Wadia 270se transport running through a Wadia 27ix computer.

All this stuff is kept in pristine working order. For its age...it still damned impressive!

I also (believe it or not) have a Nakamichi Dragon :shock: hooked through a Wadia 150 A/D converter then into the 27ix. Not Bad sound!

...and I did start dry heav'n til I got past the first parenthesis :lol:

Cheerio
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top